maybe a dumb ? but how do you do this.

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys im heading to the track this wednesday. Its about an hour away. Car can get pretty hot on the way there. Ive been wondering how exactly do you ice down the intake? What kind of bag do you use? If I buy a normal bag of ice at a gas station I know by the time i do one run itll either be melted and dripping water in my seat, or once it touches my intake itll be gone, is there a special kind of bag you use to ice the intake down? Or should i just stop and buy a bag of ice on the way to the track and keep it in a cooler in my friends caR? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Just buy some bags of ice and keep them in a cooler like you said. Maybe put a hand towel between the intake and the plastic bag to keep it from melting. The towel/ice/water should take away some of the heat.

In MM&FF they showed pics of them just icing down the upper intake. But when they write those articles(Or just that one in particular) they were the only ones at the track, so they weren't waiting in line.
I guess you could do it in the staging lanes if they let you push the car until it's your turn. That seems like the only way the intake would actually have time to cool down.:shrug:

someone correct me if I am wrong, but dry ice is too cold, you may break a hot intake doing that. put a damp cloth on it and ice that bad boy down.

Dry ice is not really a option, it is so cold it will burn your hands, and the drastic change in temp the metal will most likely become very brittle and crack.

Use regular ice, use a towel as others have said, I have a buddy help when I am in the staging lanes, Car not running of course, Pull it off just before you enter, to do you burnout..

And you do want to let the rest of the car cool before each run, clutch or converter, radiator temp if its too hot

When we usually go, someone thats not racing will keep the cooler in thier car with several bags of ice in it. put a towel on your intake and keep the ice in the bag while youre doing it. it will help prevent making puddles in the staging lanes which keeps other racers happy. take your front sway bar off (no crazy cornering till you put it back on) no fat chicks as passengers, and let us know how she does!! :nice:

FarBeyondDriven said:
When we usually go, someone thats not racing will keep the cooler in thier car with several bags of ice in it. put a towel on your intake and keep the ice in the bag while youre doing it. it will help prevent making puddles in the staging lanes which keeps other racers happy. take your front sway bar off (no crazy cornering till you put it back on) no fat chicks as passengers, and let us know how she does!! :nice:

:rlaugh:

ive seen people put a bag on the intake along with a bag on the raditor when we were at the strip :shrug:

Yea sway bar has been off for a while.

Thanks guys im gonna bring a towel and on the way to the track ill buy a few bags of ice, my friends not driving so ill keep the cooler by a fence or something, no one will take it, and if they do oh well, its a cooler with ice in it.. Im not expecting a .2 second gain, just wanna keep the car running nice and cool at the track. Its about an hour between each run and I can push the car, so that wont be a problem. Maybe ill bring two towels just in case the one is dripping water.

I bet my friend 5 bucks ill hit 12's haha Im not sure if i wil but now i have to! Gotta get a perfect launch and power shift the crap out of her, hope the stock shifter holds up.

an HOUR between runs? holy chit man... at our track, if i wait more than 30 minutes, im getting steamed. i try to let it cool off and not hot lap it, but the only time we get backed up is when this bike club comes down and tries to kill themselves on turbo 'busa's