Me vs. SRT 8 Charger

JSSuper455

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
UT
My neighbor recently purchased a 2006 SRT8 Charger 6.1L. I've seen him run from a light on highway 6. Needless to say, I do like that car and its a very respectable car. Its also got a few things done: Tune, K&N FIPK, muffs. Basically all that can be done to that car. (Apparently there are not many things you can do to Chargers). It looked like it runs strong and I told him that I'd like to race him some time.

Think the old 5.0 could hang with it? I'm pretty sure I could jump him from a dig, but my concern is if the top end of the 6.1L Hemi would reel me in. I challenged him and we'll do it at the next opportune moment.

My car (pic in attachment):

Its got all the bolt on stuff:

3.73s, subframes / tower bracing, Hurst shift, Trick flow street intake, 70mm tb/EGR, FULL exhaust (O/R H-pipe). 180° therm, timing bump, U-D pullies, elec fan (currently going in), air silencer removed, probably another mod or two that I forgot about.
Anyhow, the car pulls hard and "snaps necks", but I'm really interested in knowing about the SRT...

Driver status. He'd agree, ME > HIM. The car before this one was a GEO PRIZM. He's just always wanted a Charger V8 R/T ever since the it came out. Its kind of his dream car and he's been able to get it.... He doesn't have a lot of experience with power though.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I would definitely have to say good luck. :D

But, here's the thing. My aunt OWNS one so I've driven one already (300C SRT-8).
Let me just say this. I didn't take this thing out on the highway or anything, but off the line it bogs down just like ANY big heavy ass automatic. However, once it gets going is a different story. I woud safely say that with my mods I"LL be able to beat one in the quarter mile (BARELY).

On the otherhand, highway racing would definitely have to be a completely different story. I'm positive the top-end in those things would have to reel us both in, and I have more mods than you do. Good luck and Godspeed to us both. :flag:

Oh I forgot a few things, C&L Maf, 255lp pump, and tune-up stuff like the wires and yadda. Basically everything I could bolt onto the car without opening the motor.

Heads and Cam, were not something I was wanting to do yet. A. I didn't want to do that to the numbers matching motor. B. If I did heads and cam I'd like to build a 331 at that point with a super T5 and everything I'd need to make a killer 331.

I'm just not ready to do that at this point and honestly I probably wouldn't. I know my 5.0 is the faster of the two Mustangs, but the '00 is stock and I like it that way.

Anyhow, I pretty much told him that I'd jump him hard, but he'd probably be ahead of me by the time I hit 4th....

Either way, I't be fun! I could give him a real race for it though, and what the hay.... Its a car I wouldn't mind loosing against... :nice:

Here's the Car since it didn't post before: Some of you have seen it though...
Mstng15.jpg

Mstng1.jpg

See its clean!.. Wouldn't it be cool if I did actually win? :shrug: :flag:

Well, I have to say one thing... the SRT vehicles are no joke. I work at a Chrysler dealer and we see our fair share of them. They seem to be two different animals trapped in one body. Most people only get to see the one animal in stock trim. From the factory these vehicles have "safety" programming in them. This means even with traction control "off", you still have traction control, which limits power to the wheels. You still have the computer telling the engine not to unleah all it's potential because the driver probably can't handle it ( which is good for our lil' old preachers wife who owns the 300 SRT8 ).

Now, I have felt first hand what they can do with these parameters not in place. It's a simple way to turn it off, I can tell you if you want. But, for the size of the car and being what it is, there's not much comparison to how hard that thing will pull. Now as far as the suspension to power issue... I agree. The suspension isn't built to handle as much power as these things can put down. In all honesty, I'm talking wheel spin at cruising 40+ mph from a pedal tromp. :nono:

You said he has a tune...meaning his timing has been bumped and the fuel has probably been leaned a little up top, which adds quite a bit of horsepower even with the stock intake and exhaust. So with the intake and exhaust plus the tune, he should be making a lot more than stock; more than a 5.0 can make with just those mods. Plus, the tune has probably modified the transmission's shifting for harder shifts, etc, so it will blast through the gears pretty quick. As iLkYsPoNy was saying about the traction control; with the tune, all of that is turned off...so no timing or fuel is pulled when the computer senses loss of traction. And since they run mid-low 13s stock, if not better; with his mods he will probably be knee deep in the 12s if he can get traction. Even if he does lose traction by a little bit on the street, your car won't be able to touch it. If he knows how to pedal the car, he will win by a lot. If he spins a lot and then falls behind, he will catch up by sheer horsepower. Good luck though. :p

Well, I have to say one thing... the SRT vehicles are no joke. I work at a Chrysler dealer.....
From the factory these vehicles have "safety" programming in them. This means even with traction control "off", you still have traction control, which limits power to the wheels. You still have the computer telling the engine not to unleah all it's potential because the driver probably can't handle it.

Now, I have felt first hand what they can do with these parameters not in place. It's a simple way to turn it off, I can tell you if you want. But, for the size of the car and being what it is, there's not much comparison to how hard that thing will pull. Now as far as the suspension to power issue... I agree. The suspension isn't built to handle as much power as these things can put down. In all honesty, I'm talking wheel spin at cruising 40+ mph from a pedal tromp. :nono:

I've heard that. So is it an after market tuner that takes care of that? Or a secret button sequence ..-.--...- :D

I've recently been looking at a Charger R/T. For the family man, these cars are a great choice.

I also feel that the HEMI versions are a little under-rated the way cars were in 60's-70's. From the factory with high axle ratios and automatics in a car over 2 TON. These cars rival the heaviest of Muscle from yester year and yet they can turn the times they are turning out of the box....

SRT8's are solidly in the 13's and the R/T is in the mid-low 14's out of the box... Me thinks Chrysler has underrated those a tad...

Anyway, I like them. :flag:

My only complaints are the higher axle ratios that CANNOT be changed, and no column shift for the auto.. I'd rather have a column shifter, oh and NO B5 Blue color available. :bang:

By pressing and holding the ESP button for 5-10 seconds, waiting for a chime, and waiting for all the lights to come on, it will completely disable all safety controls. By "two different animals" I meant that with the regular " traction off" the car will still only let you spin the tires so much before the computer tells you that it's had enough and regulates your fun. With everything actually disabled, you can put all the power to the rear wheels that you want. You could literally melt the rear tires off if you wanted to.

By pressing and holding the ESP button for 5-10 seconds, waiting for a chime, and waiting for all the lights to come on, it will completely disable all safety controls. By "two different animals" I meant that with the regular " traction off" the car will still only let you spin the tires so much before the computer tells you that it's had enough and regulates your fun. With everything actually disabled, you can put all the power to the rear wheels that you want. You could literally melt the rear tires off if you wanted to.

Is the R/T RWD like that also or is it just the SRT version?