Measuring piston dome and compression ratio

Decurion

Sep 28, 2006
Livonia, MI
Im in the planning stages of building a 460, and would like to use a set of pistons of unknown origin, but Im not exactly sure how to get the measurements I need. The pin height may not be stock (probably not), and Im not exactly sure how to measure the CC's of the dome, both of which I need of course to figure compression ratio. Can someone explain it or point me in the right direction?

• Sponsors (?)

I looked at the calculators and diagrams they had, both KB and Arias, and they helped quite a bit, but still couldnt answer my questions. I called Arias (thats who made the pistons I have), and they said since the pistons were so old they had no identification number, and there was no way for me to accurately measure my pistons. However, what they did say was that they would measure them for free, I just had to cover the cost of shipping the pistons to them.

You can make a mold from playdoh in a dish. Level the stuff then press the piston into the mold, remove, cover the mold with a piece of plexiglass. Then inject fluid into the mold thru a hole in the glass, using a syringe. The pin height can be measured with a set of dial calipers. If you're not sure how to do all this, send me one piston via priority mail and I'll do it for you.