Mechanical fuel pump connections

• Sponsors (?)

I sent a request to Holley already, but they said it could be 48 hours before I hear back. I looked all over the thing for arrows and saw one underneath that points to the block, but the ports are fore and aft, so the arrow didn't help.

Here's what it looks like:
hly-12-289.jpg

Attachments

• hly-12-289.jpg
    hly-12-289.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 223
logic would tell me that the port to the rear( closest to the fuel tank) would be the inlet, and the front would be the output. Let us know what Holley has to say. Also did you check Holley's website for the documentation they have most of the stuff on-line.

gjz30075 said:
Edbert, you can probably work the arm to find out which is the suction port.

That's what I did with my pump.

Mount the pump in a vice and then work the arm. It'll be pretty easy to figure out which port is which by looking at which port is sucking in air and which one is blowing it out.

Thanks guys, since my 48 hour wait ( :rolleyes: ) will be over today I'd just as soon NOT take the pump out to see for myself. The only reason I'm on hold for this in the first place is that I am making my braided lines and AN fittings, and I want them to fit EXACTLY.

Edbert said:
Thanks guys, since my 48 hour wait ( :rolleyes: ) will be over today I'd just as soon NOT take the pump out to see for myself. The only reason I'm on hold for this in the first place is that I am making my braided lines and AN fittings, and I want them to fit EXACTLY.

If the pump is in the car, it's even easier. Just get someone to crank the engine while you use your hand to feal for the direction of airflow from the ports.

Hahaha...that will be easy once I have an electrical system in her...LOL!

painless-0305.jpg

It is actually further along than this picture. I am working on getting the plumbing setup with the hopes of starting her up soon.

Did yours have arrows? I looked and saw nothing, but if there was a small "in out" word on there I might have missed it. The 48 hours came and went, nothing heard from Holley. Their 1-800 number is for ordering a catalog only.

Edbert said:
Did yours have arrows? I looked and saw nothing, but if there was a small "in out" word on there I might have missed it. The 48 hours came and went, nothing heard from Holley. Their 1-800 number is for ordering a catalog only.
let me confirm the part number and take a look at it tonight.

Well, I never heard back from Holley, I called and got a machine (did not leave a message), so I removed the pump to look. There WAS a very small "in" written by one of the ports, it was so close to the oil filter that I could not see it with it installed. For the sake of having the answer it is the rear port that connects to the tank and the front port to the carb.

That is the good news. I rotated the lower half one "notch" so that my 90-degree -8AN swivel could clear the oil filter and remounted the pump. More accurately, I tried to remount the pump. This pump is not going to work on my car unless I do a remote oil filter kit. Having the two outlets 180 degrees apart simply does not allow for enough room between the oil filter in the back and the radiator hose in the front. Perhaps it could work with a rubber fuel line but the braided stuff and the AN fittings are just too bulky.

I have a new pump on order, it will have both the inlet and the outlet in the front with 30-45 degrees of separation. Anyone want an unused 110gph mechanical fuel pump that I paid ~$90 for? LOL