Mechanical Speedo cable...Bad ???

Stangninjak

Apr 16, 2004
I just installed a set of Haneline guages in my 65. They look real nice inside the bezel as well. Anyway, My mechanic tested everything and the speedo was working fine. He came back to the shop, we cleaned up, and I got ready to leave. Went down the street and nonthing. No speedo. Loose cable in the back I thought. Came back, tripple checked it, its connected. Pull it, and pulled the cable out to inspected. doe not seem broken or frayed. Stuck it back in the housing and reconected. Nonthing still.

The guages are brand new. Had them for less then a week. Going to call Haneline on it, but is there anything in the tranny I could be missing ? Tranny btw is a Top Loader 4 speed.

• Sponsors (?)

You need to check to see if the driven gear will turn if you spin the inner cable at the gauge end. Sometimes the square hole in the center of the driven gear gets rounded (stripped). This is what happened to me when a mechanic routed my cable through my parking brake linkage and the cable got bent so it couldn't turn inside and so the square hole in the driven gear got stripped out.

Cannoball888 said:
You need to check to see if the driven gear will turn if you spin the inner cable at the gauge end. Sometimes the square hole in the center of the driven gear gets rounded (stripped). This is what happened to me when a mechanic routed my cable through my parking brake linkage and the cable got bent so it couldn't turn inside and so the square hole in the driven gear got stripped out.

The driven gear is in the tranny correct ? I was able to spin the cable when I had it out...