Media blasting

I just picked up my 67 from Street Rod Factory in San Marcos, CA. I had them strip the paint and rust and then primer most of the surfaces. I don't know if they did the whole car with just sand or some combination lighter media and then sand for the rust. There is still sand in many nooks and crannies.

They stripped the body (inside, outside and underside), doors, fenders and trunklid. The primer is epoxy. Total cost $1650 and they had the car for 4 weeks. Turned out good and now I just have a little body work and a lot of sanding to do. Then I'll add primer/sealer and more sanding and then it's back out to be painted.

newprimer.jpg

P1000032.jpg

fenders.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I had my car done there as well, they used walnutshells on mine...it is light tan in color...at fisrt look it resembles silica sand.
Car looks good so far!!!
Solid looking body.

Did you have them paint it as well? JD told me about another Mustang they did about a year ago and after media blasting it was brought back for the paint.

I just checked the left over media. It sparkles like sand. I think they told me they would use walnut for the paint removal but sand for the surface rust. The body is straight with very little rust damage. There was some surface rust on the roof, trunklid and fenders. That was the main reason I wanted it blasted.

is that a bullitt license plate in the background of your pic?

That's the original plate to the '67. Like the rest of the car it's in great shape. It will go back on when finished. I'm not sure about the bullitt reference?

There sure is a lot of stuff in my garage. Eventually I'll have all the tools and enough spare parts to build a whole Mustang. Plus stuff for the house and yard and old camping gear we haven't used in 10 years.

O.K. I just found the oginal Bullitt license plate: JJZ 109 so mine's sort of similar.

I have a 1965 Fastback sanded and mediablasted went to have a look found out I need a new center floor maybe tork boxes? 2 front fenders, rocker panels passenger door. The body shop has an issue giving me a ballpark price including paint. Getting fustrated shouldn't they have an idea now?

A lot of body shops can give an estimate of painting but panel replacement is a bit harder because you never know what you will run into .What looks good outside may be rusted inside .Some times the best estimate you will get is cost of the panel and time replacing /hourly rate .Rocker replacement is a fairly involved replacement .
Are you talking about the rear torque boxes? That is another challenging replacement ,if the torque boxes are rusted the frame rails may be rusted as well. Your best bet may be buying the needed sheet metal and just find a shop with a decent hourly rate .

No sure about the back torque boxed condition yet the under carriage is covered with rock guard either to protect or hide issues. Afraid if I don't fix the floor properly and just paint the paint will have issues in a couple of years if the body flexes. Spoke to one body shop he said 50 to 60 grand for a full body only restoration.

Unless someone added front torque boxes your 66 will not have them .In 67 Ford started adding the driver side torque box ,in 68 ford added right and left torque boxes .One of the best mods you can do to a 65-66 is to add the torque boxes ,this ties the front frame rails into the rockers and stiffens up the front end .
If you have welding skills the sheet metal replacement is not to difficult and could save you a bundle of money .

Let me speak to the welding skills mentioned above. I had never welded a day in my life untill a year ago. Since then I purchased a welder, viewed hours of You Tube mig wilding videos, and completed major sheet metal repair on my Mustang, saving a ton of money.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless someone added front torque boxes your 66 will not have them .In 67 Ford started adding the driver side torque box ,in 68 ford added right and left torque boxes .One of the best mods you can do to a 65-66 is to add the torque boxes ,this ties the front frame rails into the rockers and stiffens up the front end .
If you have welding skills the sheet metal replacement is not to difficult and could save you a bundle of money .
Yes my husband read that will add for sure thanks for the advice

And a mighty fine job you did . I bet it was a great feeling knowing you did all that work your self .:nice:
I am with candphall ,don't be afraid to do the work your self .Even if you have to learn to weld .
Let me speak to the welding skills mentioned above. I had never welded a day in my life untill a year ago. Since then I purchased a welder, viewed hours of You Tube mig wilding videos, and completed major sheet metal repair on my Mustang, saving a ton of money.