Meet the TurdBird - My DD

• Sponsors (?)

The three biggest reasons why my mileage per tank is weird: 1. 4.10 gears; 2. Lead foot; 3. Incorrect speedo gear for 4.10's (I'm running a speedo gear meant for 3.73's because I'm too lazy to get the correct gear AND the other gear that you have to pull apart the rear of the tranny to install).

My gas gauge is dead, so I've been relying upon the odometer to figure my remaining fuel. This is one of many reasons why I'm glad the Notch is now on weekend duty only, instead of being the DD. :D

The weird thing is that my odometer is only off by a couple of miles on a one-way commute from home to work, which is actually 31 miles (according to Yahoo Maps and my T-Bird's odometer) - the Notch claims the trip is about 35 miles each way. So, after two round trips (comes out to about 140 miles) , I usually wind up putting in around 7 gallons of fuel. Soooo ... 7 gallons of fuel per 140 miles = 20 MPG. In reality, I'm sure it's worse, but not by a huge amount ... maybe 18 MPG? Best mileage I ever recorded, going by the Notch's odometer, was a supposed 24 MPG ... but that's probably more like 21 MPG in reality. Anyway.

The T-Bird gets 23.5 MPG right now with the A/C running full-blast on the Loop 202 every day, and 26 MPG if I get cheap and decide to just roll the windows down and sweat a little. :D

FWIW, Foxes usually have about a 15 gallon fuel tank, IIRC ... although only about 13 of that is actually able to be used before you start starving the fuel pump going around turns and stuff. I could probably squeeze 225 miles out of a tank on my Notch ... but without a working fuel gauge, why risk it?