Meguires NXT Wax

red ink

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
I spent the better part of the day waxing my car by hand. i think hand waxing works better than a buffer. I guess u could call me OCD. Anyways, I like the wax. I thought i would try something different and it says i can send it back if i'm not totally satisfied. Sorry for no pics. But i havent really used anything that has worked better. I have tried meguires Gold Class, Meguires 3 step, Zymol, and all sorts of turtle wax. I need to try some zaino!!!

• Sponsors (?)

red ink said:
I spent the better part of the day waxing my car by hand. i think hand waxing works better than a buffer. I guess u could call me OCD. Anyways, I like the wax. I thought i would try something different and it says i can send it back if i'm not totally satisfied. Sorry for no pics. But i havent really used anything that has worked better. I have tried meguires Gold Class, Meguires 3 step, Zymol, and all sorts of turtle wax. I need to try some zaino!!!

ya hand waxing is the best, it's damn long but ohhh sooo worth it.

Nothing will beat a good machine posish/wax. I use that same stuff, so far I love it. It last longer than anything else I've used and I can do 3 coats of it over the weekend :D Zaino will last a little longer but it will give you the same quality look.

The parents got the camera data card on the vacation. :( .
I like hand waxing because it ensures u dont miss spots. Yes a machine can do a good job on the roof and hood, but all the corners and curves are too hard to do with one

you can never see the results you get with a polisher/buffer by hand. The purpose of using a buffer is to remove all the fine scratches and swirls and this IS IMPOSSIBLE to do by hand. You dont apply "wax" with a buffer, you only polish, then do the rest by hand.

Back on topic...i agree NXT wax is a good product.

matthiasj said:
you can never see the results you get with a polisher/buffer by hand. The purpose of using a buffer is to remove all the fine scratches and swirls and this IS IMPOSSIBLE to do by hand. You dont apply "wax" with a buffer, you only polish, then do the rest by hand.

Back on topic...i agree NXT wax is a good product.

Well its my understanding that you can put wax on/off with a orbital buffer. And i think it needs to be made clear that bad scratches and swirls need a real polisher to be taken out. Isnt the PC just a orbital buffer? I have never seen one so i dont know exactly what it is.....:shrug:

There are many ways to do things - a LOT of it is just personal preference.

A PC is nothing like an orbital. And the alternative to Nate's method (cutting scratches with a PC) is to fill them with SMR's, polish etc.

I also apply LSP's by hand (SG).

HISSIN50 said:
There are many ways to do things - a LOT of it is just personal preference.

A PC is nothing like an orbital. And the alternative to Nate's method (cutting scratches with a PC) is to fill them with SMR's, polish etc.

I also apply LSP's by hand (SG).

So which PC do u have? What model number? 7424?

PC=porter cable, im not sure what else these guys are referring to, maybe they can explain them.

the PC (Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher) is a lot different than an orbital. Both provide the same results, the PC is more user friendly, and any beginner, or do-it-yourselfer can use it. An orbital is alittle more complicated, and its easier to mess up paint with an orbital.

You can buy pads to apply wax, and bonnets to remove wax, but no many people do it this way, the bonnets get gunked up real quick, and its just easier, and you get the same results by applying the wax by hand, and saving the buffer for the polishing stages.

So the portercable is a random orbital buffer, so its not like a Dewault wheel or something, http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...49.htm?L+coastest+rwzh4125ffc0fdc0+1140567069,
right?

So if the PC is a random orbit, how does it take scratches out? Or does it just use polish to "cover" them up? I thought that you need a wheel to heat up the paint, to actually remove scratches. Thus giving the chance of burning the paint.

it does not fillin scratches, it takes them out. i'm not sure about what your saying with the heat and all...but it uses the abrasive polish to "shave" off some of the clear coat where the scratches are. This is what any buffer does, but some are more effective (like an orbital) and some are easier, and take more time to get the same results (PC)

matthiasj said:
it does not fillin scratches, it takes them out. i'm not sure about what your saying with the heat and all...but it uses the abrasive polish to "shave" off some of the clear coat where the scratches are. This is what any buffer does, but some are more effective (like an orbital) and some are easier, and take more time to get the same results (PC)

We need to clarify what kind of tools we are using. The PC is a random orbital buffer, correct? What is the "technical" name of that dewault piece i linked to above? I refer to that as a "wheel". And that is MUCH different than the PC. So, let me ask u this, whats the difference between the PC and a random oribital buffer i can buy at murrays? Is the PC just more powerful/faster with more "orbits"? Cause i mean, you can use your hand with any abrasive polish to get scratches out, might not work as well. I brought up heat because when u heat up the paint, when u do it right, it takes scratches out easier then just rubbing compound into the paint.

Im not doubting what the PC is capable of, but being a random orbital, it has its limitations on what all it can get out. Cause some stuff takes heat...along with a good abrasive cutting compound. I would imagine for a "average" car that needs some detail work, a PC will be ok. But with a car with a lot of bad damage in the paint, i think a "wheel" like the dewault will be able to do a better job, but it does require much more skill, much more patience, and its much more unforgiving with mistakes than any other tool. But damn does it pay off :drool:

I use the 7424 to apply wax everytime I do it. With a soft pad, it will apply it way more efficiently than I can do by hand and I can wax the whole car in about 15min. Plus the pads are shaped to fit into the corners and junk, it's pretty nice. http://www.properautocare.com/ad712inhipa.html

The PC is a dual action AKA random orbit buffer. The Dewalt is a rotary buffer AKA burn through your paint in 2 seconds if you don't know how to use it buffer.

The PC will get out a good amount of swirls. It won't do anything to real scratches without the right compounds. But with some skill, you can do miracles with a rotary. But for a random orbit, I've used the ones you can get at the store, but this PC is so well balanced, small and has a ton of accesories. It's hard to find the right style bonnets for the Wal-Mart special buffers.

Zero Signal said:
I use the 7424 to apply wax everytime I do it. With a soft pad, it will apply it way more efficiently than I can do by hand and I can wax the whole car in about 15min. Plus the pads are shaped to fit into the corners and junk, it's pretty nice. http://www.properautocare.com/ad712inhipa.html

The PC is a dual action AKA random orbit buffer. The Dewalt is a rotary buffer AKA burn through your paint in 2 seconds if you don't know how to use it buffer.

Ok cool, for a second there it seemed like the PC was supposed to be on the same level as the Dewalt. And i do agree that applying wax with a orbital can give a much more even distribution of the wax on the paint and probably makes less wax go further.

Now come on...2seconds? That takes some real stupidity. I burned one car last summer, it was the front bumper of a used BMW....it didnt reduce the speed from coming off of the metal body parts. It burned the paint. STUPID move on my part. Never made that mistake again though:nice:

Can it burn through your paint? Yes. But you have to TRY to burn through it THAT quick. Its no different than any other specialized tool. You should read up on it before using it. Only way you could really burn through the paint is by using a too high of speed. You start off slow...get used to the machine. And go slowwwwwwww. I take my good ol' time to get a bad scratch out. Sure pro's can come over and get it out intsantly, but im not that good yet. My point is that if you buy a tool like this, and dont read up on it, then u deserve to burn through the paint. Go ahead and turn it up to full blast and jump down on the paint, yea....u'll burn right through it. But come on, u were asking for it.

If u go slow, at decent speeds and dont stay in one spot forever, then u'll see the scratch disappear and see what it takes to get it done. I also stop and feel the paint too. It can get pretty damn hot....and if it does, ya betta leave it a lone :lol:

Funny story...i was prepping a new 645i....and i didnt realize the whole body was plastic. And at this dealership, the cars in the lot got absolutely bombed with sap and bird crap. So i had to get a couple spots out. I wheel'd the majority of the car, thinking the body parts i hit were metal....didnt even think twice about them being plastic. Take it up to the salesman...he says "so...how hard is it to wheel on these cars? Ya know, since they are plastic and all" :eek:

Everything was fine though...cause i was smart with the wheel. Unlike on that older car i burned through...going too fast for my level.

Anyway, my rant is over :rlaugh: , once i get some cash for detailing, i'll be getting a wheel and whatever random orbit buffer, i've seen the damage those things can fix, and im hooked. It is scary, but just like a lot of other stuff, with great power comes great responsibility:p :D