MELTED headlight switch harness

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Orlando, Florida
ok, I may have a big problem, the plasic piece of the harness that connects to the headlight switch has melted. I connected a new switch to it and its still real flakey. I had to electrical tape all the connections, and my lights flash on and off, I have to kinda play with the knob to get them stay on... any ideas on how to fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

This is actually rather common on our cars for some reason. I had to deal with this about two years ago on the way back from the track and it almost left me stranded on the side of the road. You can get the harness from ford for about $10.00 if I remember correctly and then all you have to do is splice the wires together. I have not had any trouble since I replaced mine.

I have actually had this happen to me twice. The first time it melted the harness that connects to the actual light switch. No big deal there, replace the harness and put it back together. The second time was weird, the harness melted but when I replaced it the problem was still there (lights flickering, not staying on etc..), what it wound up being was the multi-function switch (the thing with your hazard switch and turn signals). I think it cost me like $50, not too bad to replace, just have to take the steering collum apart. The guy at ford I was dealing with said that ford made some improvements on the original design to stop the melting from occuring. This was all a few years ago and I havent had it happen since.