metal on metal noises w/o brakes pressed

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
Then when i press the brakes i can hear a very unnatural sound coming from the passenger front brakes.

It started a week to 2 weeks after i got my 2000gt back from my mother (she had it for 6months and wouldnt give it back). She doesnt know how to maintain her vehicles.

the passenger front bearing or hub whatever was bad. so i went in to replace the bearing assembly thing. i took everything off and put everything back on correctly (as far as i know). i dont really have problems when i work on cars (for instance taking things apart and putting them back on corretly). But if i didnt put it back together right then i understand. also when i got everything back together (besides wheel on) i asked for my friend to get the torque wrench and set it at 100lbs. by the time he gave it to me i had the wheel and lugnuts on hand tight. Then i dropped the car and torqued nuts. when i got done i looked at the wrench and it said 120lbs! i asked him why he said the 3or4 inch extension takes at least 20 pounds of torque. which i know it takes some but not no 20 pounds.

so i am thinking that the overtightening could of warped the rotor and is making the noise with pad(s). also i do see a line in the rotor that was never there. i was tempted to replace the front brakes ($30 a rotor and $20 pads) and see if that would fix it. BUT money is scarce since i just enrolled into college and having to get a part time job while making car payments. so the next 3 years is going to be crappy.

What could i have done to the car or was it the overtightening?

• Sponsors (?)

Cheap rotors will warp no matter what you torque the wheels to. If you are getting a vibration while braking that is warpage. If you are getting the grinding sound, check the pads. Could be bad. Check the rears too. I had bad pads on my Expedition and it "sounded" like it was from the front. Cost me nearl 200 in pads and rotors to fix it. Quiet as a whore in church now.

well thanks for that advise.

i really do belive its the PF brake.

and just recently i just started feeling some shaking. which i forgot to mention till it was mentioned.

when my mother and i traded vehicles for 6 months she gave me hers and i let her take over my payments. the first thing wrong with her pontiac was well other than everything was warped rotors, bad spark plugs and wires, belt a little peice torn off were it makes a repeated smacking noise and all the tires were bad.. i fixed all of that and fixed the interior. and after all of my hard work her and i switch vehicles and i got to do that all over and she makes more money.