Metal polishing question??

• Sponsors (?)

caseywan said:
Are there different "grits" of nylon wheels or something?

Yep, just like Derek said, there are different coarse wheels you can get. Just out of curiosity, what color is your nylon wheel? The one in Paul's write up is a blue one and that is a fine coarse wheel, but color doesn't mean much. Ussually the thicker the nylon strands, the coarser the wheel is. The fine wheel is pretty thin. If you have any more questions, let us know.

Tim

stang22 said:
Yep, just like Derek said, there are different coarse wheels you can get. Just out of curiosity, what color is your nylon wheel? The one in Paul's write up is a blue one and that is a fine coarse wheel, but color doesn't mean much. Ussually the thicker the nylon strands, the coarser the wheel is. The fine wheel is pretty thin. If you have any more questions, let us know.

Tim

The nylon wheel I have is orange, but it doesn't say anything about coursness on it or the package it came in, oh well. I think I will just skip using the nylon wheel and just use a 500 or 600 grit. I may actually be able to use the nylon wheel in place of the 240 or 320 grit.

marc said:
What are you polishing? Here is Dave's (forced347) how-to polishing page:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7713/polishin1.htm

Thanks for the link. I didn't state what I was polishing because everyone says I'm crazy, but I am polishing my Cobra R wheels. I'm about down, about 6-8 hours per wheel. It's a lot of work, but I don't mind it since I have the time. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I have a red one that's supposed to be more coarse than the blue one (after using this one I always have a silver/reflective finish on the metal) but it doesn't seem to cut much more than the blue. Barely, but not much.

The nylon wheel is soooo useful.

Here's a few pics, 2 done and the other two almost there. I was wondering why I ever started but it all pays off when you see the finished product.

I'm now planning on polishing several engine bay pieces this winter, it's addicting!!

DSCN2052.jpg

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2053.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2052.jpg
    DSCN2052.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2054.jpg
    DSCN2054.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2053.jpg
    DSCN2053.jpg