Metallic "shing" Sound At Startup

DonSoares

Aug 3, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Hello again

89 GT 'vert here, driven almost daily short trips to and from work. 100k original miles.

In the morning the engine starts right up first turn, but after work, now almost every day, right at the moment when I release the key from START and the engine fires, there's a metallic SHING sound. Sounds like metal on metal, best analogy I can thing of is the noise in movies when two knives are scraped together.

I'm wondering if it's the flexplate / starter gear? Sounds like it's coming from underneath.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hello again

89 GT 'vert here, driven almost daily short trips to and from work. 100k original miles.

In the morning the engine starts right up first turn, but after work, now almost every day, right at the moment when I release the key from START and the engine fires, there's a metallic SHING sound. Sounds like metal on metal, best analogy I can thing of is the noise in movies when two knives are scraped together.

I'm wondering if it's the flexplate / starter gear? Sounds like it's coming from underneath.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
To me, it sounds like either the flexplate has come lose or the outer ring has begun to separate. But it could also be the starter is loose or misaligned. Not sure what else it could be off the top of my head.

Being that it makes the metallic sound only when warm, my thoughts are starter itself. If it was flex plate, it would contact when cold. Metal expands when hot. Pull starter out, preferably when warm and test on ground in front of you with jumper cables and 12 volt battery. Also inspect mounting for any grind marks, around flex plate. Replace starter if under warranty. After these tests, bring by parts store with load test machine to further test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My expedition starter was starting to fail about six months back. It started out where I could use my remote starter button on firewall solenoid. Then I had to bang on starter. Thank goodness that Saturday I picked up a reman from Ford. Within 2 days the banging no longer worked. Luckily I got one more start to get me home. Change it out now. Starters and batteries seem to fail at worst time. As long as someone didn't pull transmission recently, your problem is probably not flex plate. Keep us posted with results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk