MGW vs Tri-ax

• Sponsors (?)

I have the MGW. It is not notchy at all, and it is SUPER quiet.

There are better shifters if you are going to spend ALOT of time on the dragstrip. I have never missed a shift on the track with the MGW, and rarley miss a shift on the street with it and when I do, it's usually me not paying attention.

i have an mgw and i love it. the shifts are solid and it's pretty comfy. the only problem that i have with mine is that going from 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd there is this little stop in between that has always bothered me. it seems that no matter how fast i try shifting, the little stop is slowing me down. i've been thinkin about buying a tri-ax and trying that out for a little bit to see if that helps.

I have the Tri-ax. I like the shifter. I like that I can use aftermarket handles with the tri-ax. I have the UPR rock crusher handle, it reaches way back for me. I'm tall so the seat is all the way back. The MGW won't reach like that. I can rest my arm on the center console and shift the car easy.

Soooo...The MGW isnt the best for track use?

American Muscle has a deal goin on with the tri-ax and FRPP shift knob for $190 and I really want it, but don't want to be disappointed with my decision. :shrug:

I have the Tri-ax. I like the shifter. I like that I can use aftermarket handles with the tri-ax. I have the UPR rock crusher handle, it reaches way back for me. I'm tall so the seat is all the way back. The MGW won't reach like that. I can rest my arm on the center console and shift the car easy.

How is the shifting with it? Is it smooth going into gear?

Ive had both. MGW is by far the best and has the most positive shifts. The throw is nicer and it places the gear knob right in your hand.
My Cobra came with a Tri-Ax and I wana yank it in favor of another MGW. The Tri-Ax is light years ahead of the stock one but the MGW makes the whole shifting experience nicer.
I have NEVER missed third with the MGW, Tri-Ax I will hit 5th almost as often as a stocker.

Soooo...The MGW isnt the best for track use?

American Muscle has a deal goin on with the tri-ax and FRPP shift knob for $190 and I really want it, but don't want to be disappointed with my decision. :shrug:

this is not a great deal but a FRPP shift knob is normally 40 bucks, so i guess its like saving 30 bucks.

When you said it was loud, what about it is loud?

its not the shifter itself thats loud its the transmission noises you can hear. the aftermarket shifters are made out of solid aluminum and do nothing to isolate the cabin from the trans. the feel and solidness more than make up for the noise....which really isnt that loud at all, its just noticeable

How is the shifting with it? Is it smooth going into gear?

the tri-ax is not *quite* as smooth as the MGW but in all honesty i like the tri-ax better. i have had experience with both. my GF had a 1998 V6 with the t-45 and she had the tri-ax, i had a 2004 GT with the 3650 using tri-ax, and my current 1999 cobra with the t-45 has the MGW and i think the steeda has a better on-center feel. the 2-3 shift was easier with the tri-ax.

if you are interested in a tri-ax for a 3650 i have the one from my 04 GT that i only used for 9 months (my car was totaled and i took it off) shoot me a PM i will give you a deal on it, and it is practically new.

The MGW also gives you 360* adjustability for the handle also, which is nice.

I say it isn't the best one for racing only because it is so smooth that it lacks a little re-enforcment as to where it's going on REAL hard shifts. If you know that you can bang gears just fine, don't sweat it, because it's not going to cause to to miss a shift, but it may not deliver the confidence that a shifter made for banging gears will.

MGW nuff said, prolly favorite mod on my car along with the first. Also the degree of adjustablilty with the MGW is so nice. I put mine angled at about 45 degrees towards me to make the shifter closer to me rather than the center of the car.

I've driven with both shifters and for me the Tri Ax was not as notchy. Like waggs said, there is a slight stop in the shift from 1-2 & 2-3 when you're really slammin' the gears mon the MGW and not matter how many ways I tried to change the shifting technique that stop was always there. It really bothered me. I say try both if you can, find someone you know that has each shifter and see if they'll let you try it out.