mid 13's ???

I have an 85 notch, with a 91 5.0 motor, trans, and rearend, The motor is almost completely stock. other than being converted to a holley 600 carb. an edelbrock performer intake,under drive pulleys,mallory unilite distributor,and 2.5 inch exaust with off road x- pipe and mac pro dump mufflers. That being said. I have never taken this car to the track. What should I be running ?? What would it take to run consistent 13's ? I know traction is a serious issue with such a light car !! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Its all in how serious you want to get with it. The first biggy is traction. You gotta have slicks or at least ET streets to start getting the numbers down. After that, its light weight (take everythign off the car you dont need... and for a trip to the dragstrip, the pass. seat comes out easily, as does the front swaybar). Lastly, make sure you have a good exhaust, from header to tips. Then tune the thing and abuse the ^&*( out of it and you will start learning how to run the #s. THese arent easy to break, so spend time at the dragstrip figuring out what your car likes.

Good luck and keep it fun.

chris

bucstang1 said:
Everyone seems to have the same formula.Traction + Practice = good #'s I definately need traction, stock size 225 60 15's and stock worn control arms arent helping any. Thanks for the advice. I'll start with traction. My driving skills?????? they'll need some work !!

I started out with driving skills, and traction soon followed. I learned how to cut consistant 2.0x's on crappy 225 width dunlops. Once I got my launch technique down, everything else followed suit. Granted you have to adjust it slightly with every mod you do, as long as you have a strong know-how, you'll be alright.

And take axemans's advice, and do be upset if you dont accomplish your goal in your first outing. Hell, that was my whole point my first year dragracing. I changed things up every run, and got better et's every trip to the strip.