Mid Muffler Project

MATRIX4.6

Nov 25, 2005
I have begun to construct my own Mid Muffler system using twin Mag flows and I have noticed there are a couple of places that I can mount these babies but wondered if there was some "legal" location of a muffler before I fire up the welder. By the way if it matters I am in AZ. Any info on this would be awesome thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont think theres a illegal place to put em. on sn95s they are right before the rear axle, on alot of Gm products its right behind the rear axle, or where the rear axle would be on a fwd car.

i take it you mean magnaflow mufflers? if so are they straight through design or chambered? if i were to make my own i think i might put them right in front of the rear axle, depending on how much room you have there though. i can't think of what right there would look like. think the gas tanks right there.

you could also take a look at the side pipe kits think cervinis has one, and see where their mufflers are located. i think pypes might havea few pictures on their site of underneath our cars to show their exhaust systems.

Like Nasty shows in his picture, I don't think there is going to be any room for a normal sized (rectangular) muffler. I was just under the car installing some Pypes M80 Resonators (basically in the same place that Nasty has his Resonators) and I can tell you there isn't much room. If you installed a round race muffler (basically the same thing as a resonator) you may be able to make it work, but then you're going to have to figure out what your going to install in the place of the stock muffler/exhaust tip. Plus, I don't know what the car is going to sound like with just that as a muffler. Good luck and happy fabricating!

Like Nasty shows in his picture, I don't think there is going to be any room for a normal sized (rectangular) muffler. I was just under the car installing some Pypes M80 Resonators (basically in the same place that Nasty has his Resonators) and I can tell you there isn't much room. If you installed a round race muffler (basically the same thing as a resonator) you may be able to make it work, but then you're going to have to figure out what your going to install in the place of the stock muffler/exhaust tip. Plus, I don't know what the car is going to sound like with just that as a muffler. Good luck and happy fabricating!

I agree ... There is not much room under there for much. The spot both of us are using is pretty much the only viable location and it's not 'roomy' by any means.

yup thats basically where I am looking to put them. They are the same size as the pypes M80's 4 inch tube width, 14 inch tube length, 2.5 inch pipe IL/OL and 20 inch overall length. A question I have with that location Nasty is how difficult was it to mount those mufflers at that angle? Did you have to bend any of the pipe before the muffler?

As far as my tips I already have SLP loudmouths so I was planning on leaving them on. If this works out I will have the most diverse exhuast set up ever....BBK tuned shorties, FRPP catted X pipe, Twin Magnaflow round straight through mufflers, SLP loudmouth tips....Thats a mouth full.

vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeo8LvwfTw8

my guess is it will sound something close to this...

Nope, just cut out the section of piping and weld them in ... The M80s are basically the same thing as I've got. I'm also running the SLP LMs as tips. Now I just need to get the Kooks or American Racing headers and see how it sounds !! I need to get sound clips of my car. I might do that tomorrow if the weather is nice.

My M80's had an overall length of 18", 4" round tube length of 14", 2.5" in/out. Anyway, I located mine about 6" back from the h-pipe connection. I don't think there is enough clearance to install the resonators directly to the end of the h-pipe. Once you get under the car, look at the over-the-axle exhaust pipes, pick-out the straightest section of pipe for the install. I'm really anal, so I totally removed my over-the-axle pipes (already had them marked for cut points, bottom & side locations, etc), cut out the sections that need to be removed, welded-in the the front section (6" piece) onto the resonator, and then tacked the opposite end of the resonator to the remaining pipe. Then I crawled back under the car, located this section to make sure that everything was going to fit right, pulled it back out, finished welding it, re-installed, and repeated the steps for the other side. I did all of my work while the car was up on jackstands and the welding was all done on the garage floor. Since I don't have a lift, the way I completed mine seemed like the best method. Plus I wasn't going to pay someone to do something that I'm perfectly capable of doing, and I didn't want them molesting her either! Please let me know if you have any questions, I may be able to give you some helpful hints. Here's a picture, sorry for the poor quality, taken with my cell phone.

thanks for the pics. I am looking to install them as close to parallel as possible. I am though a bit short on patience so I may skip the welding now. My plan is to use couplers and clamps and seal the cuts with high temp gasket sealer. I know its a lot more junk to put on but less fuss with the rest of the pipes. If any one knows how difficult it is to line up the SLP lm's in the cutouts of the bumper then I think they would understand why I want to leave them where they are.

So contrary to my previous post...I took the extra time to weld them in. Looks good and sounds awesome. No more rasp, no more trumpets just gold old american muscle. I will post a vid when we are having better weather. Currently 30-40 mph wind.