Might be gettin an automatic

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
As some of you may know, I drive a stock 91 LX 5.0 5 speed as my daily. Its an awesome car and never lets me down. I may be trading a guy for a stock 92 LX 5.0 automatic to drive until next year when I can afford a Marauder. What you guys think of the AOD's with 160,000? I've never owned an automatic and I wanna make sure its a decent trans and hopefully wont blow up on me!

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on the kind of life it had. Before I did my 4R70W build, I had the stock AOD. It had 100K less miles than yours but also had a Vortech on it pushing 300/330. It was fine until I stepped up to an S-trim and upgraded my heads, at which point it became a little sluggish. It was still dependable though, the drive was just not nearly as fun.

Nothing wrong with automatics, especially if it's a daily driver.

As long as it wasn't beaten or left un-maintained, it should do you well. I've seen them outlast the rest of the car, they're not bad for "normal" driving.

Maybe cuz he wants an automatic?

I'll tell you what...i don't miss daily driving a 5-spd one bit. I drive my mustang maybe 500 miles a year, and that's the only time i drive a manual. More than enough for me.

Yea I've been driving stick for 8 years now and I'm ready to get an automatic and that is the ultimate reason for wanting to trade this guy. Car sounds exactly like mine but wild strawberry and auto. If I ever wanna row my own gears I go to our warehouse, get my 88 and beat the balls off of it. And to be honest with you, 2.73's an a 5 speed arent exactly what you call fun. I plan on getting a Marauder next year once I pay off my tool bill (260 a month) and thats not gonna be paid off til December so this auto car will hold me over til I can afford a car payment and not be dead broke while I pay off my tool bill haha. damn tool box is takin all my cash!

yyyea buddy, I've always wanted one and next year I should be able to afford another car payment again so I'm gonna get one. Im gonna keep it stock save for MAC mufflers and a intake. I wanna ride in big full frame sport luxury for once.

My work car is 5spd and I love it! (although i've been driving my truck because the ac in the work car is broken.) Thing is, I live out in the boondocks and work even further out, and don't hit any traffic. If I were living in Houston, the work car would be auto.

Besides, wild strawberry is an awesome color. Do the trade and when you get your Marauder, do a 5spd swap on the strawberry fox!:nice:......

......then put a blower on the marauder!!!:D

hahah the strawberry car would be sold when I get a marauder, just like my current LX, I wanna keep it stock cause the stock cars are becoming harder to come by. I would love to keep it when I get the Marauder but having two mustangs, a marauder and a boat while being 25 would be a little ridiculous.

Maybe cuz he wants an automatic?

I'll tell you what...i don't miss daily driving a 5-spd one bit. I drive my mustang maybe 500 miles a year, and that's the only time i drive a manual. More than enough for me.

I guess? Both cars I currently own are manual and I commute 40 miles each way from NH to Boston, I am not bothered by using my foot to push in the clutch. Maybe your stang should be an auto too?!

160 on a stock mustang? i wouldn't be worried at all. Take it for a test drive, see how she shifts. Smell the fluid and check the color... If anything change the fluid (but DON'T flush it, leave old fluid in the converter) and change the screen. I wouldn't hesitate a trade after doing those things and it checks out?

yea im not too worried about it. this doesnt have to do anything with mustangs but my buddy has a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 an auto, its got 255,000 miles on it, never had a trans done in it, it started slipping a little bit, dropped the pan, changed the filter and put the old fluid back in it and she shifts perfect. I'm actually pretty excited to check this thing out.