Might need a new motor...recommendations?

AdamantiumKnot

Founding Member
Sep 29, 2001
nj
Well, I've managed to spin a bearing and I have rod knock after making my way through the snow on friday. My car goes to the ford dealer on Monday. If it isn't repaired under warranty, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new motor since I don't have the time to sit and do a rebuild. Any recommendations? I was looking into built motors, or something above the current gt motor. Any sites? performance shops or engine builders you could guide me towards? I'm in northern NJ.

• Sponsors (?)

AdamantiumKnot said:
i may also build my current one if i can have it done quickly enough. what rods pistons crank and anything else should i look into?

The blocks come with the short block kits and the heads and block come with the long block kits. Try calling either of those two and ask about full engine prices if you would like to go that way. Otherwise, I would just purchase an upgraded shortblock and have your heads P&P, and maybe a cam, exhaust, supercharger, intercooler, .... Man it sure is fun dream spending, :D

Bo

AdamantiumKnot said:
i may also build my current one if i can have it done quickly enough. what rods pistons crank and anything else should i look into?

They sell kits just for stroking the engine that would include most of the damaged parts you would need to replace. Only concern would be the block side of the spun bearing. I would have the block checked before spending the money on rebuilding it.

I hope I am helping here, I have built a few motors in my time but they were all "pre-modular" :D

Bo

haha thanks yeah it's been a help. i'm also intending on going turbo once i save up the money, which will definitely be longer now that i have to possibly buy a new engine, i want to get the 99+ gt heads though if i'm getting a new motor. i'm figuring while i'm replacing things, i might as well upgrade

AdamantiumKnot said:
haha thanks yeah it's been a help. i'm also intending on going turbo once i save up the money, which will definitely be longer now that i have to possibly buy a new engine, i want to get the 99+ gt heads though if i'm getting a new motor. i'm figuring while i'm replacing things, i might as well upgrade

Oh man, stroked, forged, and supercharged = :worship: :nice: :worship:

Bo

Thats funny, I spun a rod bearing this week as well in my 96, I just bought a fully assembled 03 4.6 with 3k on it, you can buy one of those, swith your fuel rails out and use your old ignition and it will fire off of your 98 computer....

96stanglife said:
Thats funny, I spun a rod bearing this week as well in my 96, I just bought a fully assembled 03 4.6 with 3k on it, you can buy one of those, swith your fuel rails out and use your old ignition and it will fire off of your 98 computer....

how much did that cost you?

I live in Oklahoma, and I just got on the net and started searching wrecked cars, I ordered this one out of Illinois for 1600...I didnt think it was that bad of deal, plus itll run a **** load better....

AdamantiumKnot said:
Well, I've managed to spin a bearing and I have rod knock after making my way through the snow on friday. My car goes to the ford dealer on Monday. If it isn't repaired under warranty, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new motor since I don't have the time to sit and do a rebuild. Any recommendations? I was looking into built motors, or something above the current gt motor. Any sites? performance shops or engine builders you could guide me towards? I'm in northern NJ.
Give LaRocca's a call in Old Bridge, right near Raceway Park

In my case I guess over revving the engine, although it was at 5000 rpm for about 15 second or so....don't think that should kill it. Not once hit the rev limiter or redlined. It's beyond me.

AdamantiumKnot said:

Check out my sig and click on the T&J Performance link. Give Tim a call and he will lay every available option out for you. From mild to wild, it will all be up to you. Can't beat the customer service and knowledge that Tim and Jeff provide.

jprez22 said:
How do you spin a bearing? :shrug: Just asking so I know what not to do or how to avoid it.

Thanks

Mainly caused my over reving the engine, but you never know. My 2nd engine was a piece of crap Ford reman, which I probably took to redline a total of 2 times in 10,000 miles. Didn't matter because the motor was crap. Spun 2 rod bearings on seperate banks (sides), which is almost impossible.... unless the engine is a big POS. Things happen.