Might wanna think twice...

• Sponsors (?)

Yep,
Thats right down the interstate from me about 15 miles. I live just outside Charlotte and about 5 years ago was one of those that would gather in the parking areas of Applebees and Exxon right off Rae Road. The guys were permitted my management to hang out and show their cars. One thing leads to another and arguments ensue, cash is held and the guys relocate to I-485 to kick it off. It was always really like shooting fish in a barrel for Police as 50 cars would leave the parking lot together, all squeeling tires to relocate to the strip of isolated interstate thats under construction. This has gone on like this for 8 years or so. Thankfully I never ran anyone, but from what I understand now... they can take your car and impound it just for bieng there watching. I feel bad for the guys, but there is a drag strip ( 1/8th mile ) in Mooresville, about 20 miles from where they were racing that is open most every weekend and even Thursday nights.

I really do hate it for the guys whos cars are going to be auctioned. Could you imagine having your beautiful Fox hooked up to a tow truck and dragged away for you to never see her again?
Brrrrr, just gives me the shivvers:nonono:

I can't say i've never ran a car from a light or whatever, but gathering up a bunch of cars and actually throwing down a street racing get together is retarded...that's what the track is for. You play you pay.

93 teal terror said:
If they would ever finish 485 maybe they wouldnt have that problem :D

Theyd still have the problem. It will just move somewhere else. I used to live out in Denton in Davidson county. On sat nights after midnight you could hear the cars out there racing. The town only has 5 cops, and street racing is still big out there. Ill say this about the ones who race out there. They wait until after midnight, and its a very rural community with almost 0 traffic after 10 at night. Its still not safe, but they seem to have some kind of respect for others on the roads.

I've no remorse for those that lost their cars in this little ordeal.

I can see ending up side by side on the street with someone needing to know their order on the food chain but.... Organized street racing? Over a period of months?? These morons had it coming.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I can't say i've never ran a car from a light or whatever, but gathering up a bunch of cars and actually throwing down a street racing get together is retarded...that's what the track is for. You play you pay.
x3
I dont know how they pulled that off the other times

No doubt about it..... Organize street racing is stupid. Most organized "car enthusiast get-togethers" turn out to be stupid. I like to meet up with people in Columbus on weekends during the summer, but I don't race (and the 2 times I have over the past two years, it was just me and that one other guy who went to a remote location). A lot of people like to show off and end up doing something stupid in the parking lots. I don't like hanging out at these locations. Mostly, I just like to get together with other car enthusiasts, tell & hear stories, and look at nice cars.

If my car were ever impounded, I'd definitely fight it. What are the legal grounds for taking someone's car? Racing is one thing, but peacefully gathering is another.

Chris

They cant impound your car for hangning out i a parking lot, and that's not what happened here. The cars that were impounded were video taped ,while racing, by police durring the investigation. It just happens that the police decided to serve the warrents while they had most of the suspects at a single location(the parking lot they where hanging out in). This investigatoin was no different than a drug bust where a cop goes undercover and infitrates a group of users and dealers, builds evidence first hand against them, gets warrents and gets help from the rest of the dept to serve the warrents and make the arrests at one time. That is exactly how this went down.

I dont street race, but go to the races, this summer in Massachusetts it was getting out of control. One night i was watchign them, not racing and they had the entire highway blocked off for a few races. At least over 50 cars that were racing where there. And then the spectators. The cops were giving some tickets, but going by the cars when they showed up, not who was actually racing. whoever was close adn didnt run when they showed up. Then another night they cornered everyone in a parking lot and just took plate numbers and said if you were out on sat night next weekend you would be getting a ticket.