MikeUrban's Class Project

MikeUrban

May 30, 2010
Chantilly, VA
Hey everyone. I haven't been around here for a while because I've been busy with working on my car. Sadly, this project started when I crashed my car. The crash wasn't too bad. It just busted out my corner marker but the idea of crashing my car and how real things get in a split second kinda scared me. Anyway, I took my car into my auto body class in high school and got to work. I decided this was a great time to just go ahead and paint my car. So I started sanding. I'll start out with some pictures of the day after the crash and then move on to some of the body work pictures.

View attachment 193220

View attachment 193221

Then I got to sanding

View attachment 193222

View attachment 193223

I decided to see what it looks like without a rear ford emblem :eek:

View attachment 193224

That's how far I am with body work. After the coarse body work we moved the car over to my Auto Tech class, and got to work on the H/C/I. More to come.

• Sponsors (?)

I got the F cam because I wanted a pretty aggressive cam while still having a shot at passing emissions. But, that went out the window when I found out my heads don't have the air injection ports in the back... woops.

Just a quick update. The hood is prepped for paint tomorrow, we're going to see what Brilliant Silver Metallic looks like on it and if it isn't good we're going to try black with a clearcoat with a bunch of blue pearl in it. Hopefully one of those looks good. We got the car to fire up, and it ran okay for a little while but it was really lean. It backfired through the intake and we think it blew a vacuum line off somewhere because it can't even hold itself at idle and it backfiring whenever I initially hit the gas unless I hold it at 1500 for like a minute straight. We're going to smoke test it tomorrow for leaks, and then time it. I'll get some videos up hopefully tomorrow of it running right!

It turns out I had the distributer in one tooth off. We moved it over, and now it runs perfectly. There's no backfire and it idles smoothly after about 5 seconds of holding it at idle. It's developed a coolant leak, but I'm sure that's just a loose bolt or screw somewhere. I didn't get any videos or pictures today, I forgot to bring the camera to school with me :D.

On a side note, I decided to mix my own color. It turned out as a highly metallic gunmetal with some blue pearl on top. I hope it turns out alright haha

Fivespeed: I'll be going to old dominion a lot once I get this thing together!

I also just found a few pictures of how I modified the explorer throttle linkage to make it work with the mustang cable. At first I didn't know i was going to have to change anything. It turns out that when you try to connect the mustang cable to the explorer linkage it will hold the throttle almost wide open.

Here's a picture of the explorer linkage (the only thing done so far is grinding the ball stud off):

View attachment 191970

Here we have the explorer linkage and the mustang linkage next to each other. We cut the mustang linkage off of the rod that goes all the way through the TB and ground it down to make it just a plate. The center of the mustang plate should be sitting on the center of the explorer linkage to keep the same pivot point. You'll have to find the angle where the cable wants to sit without tension and then mark where it. Make absolute sure the cable will open and close the butterfly all the way and will close it all the way, I had to remove and re weld this thing 4 times. It isn't fun.

View attachment 191971

This is what we ended up with (the ball studs are roughly 180* from each other and you can see it's holding the throttle open, NOT GOOD):

View attachment 191972

Here's just a random picture of the explorer TB being mocked up:

View attachment 191973

And here's a picture of my friend grinding away at the linkage (check out the one spark thats shooting him in the chest, it has a tracer haha):

View attachment 191974

Sometimes if you grind for long enough you get a molten pool of metal:

View attachment 191975

And my last picture of the day, my color before being shaken up :D :

View attachment 191976

Car's going into paint Monday or Tuesday

The car's painted and back together, I haven't had the time to upload any pictures yet because I've been driving so much. I put 250 miles on it two days ago and 150 yesterday. I love this thing! I had a really good photographer come with me to get pictures, so as soon as he sends me them I'll post em up. I also found out my clutch is slipping pretty bad, time for a SPEC stage 2?