MIL & "Safe Mode"

01DarkHrse

Jun 22, 2004
For all you tuning wizards out there... Is there really such a thing as safe mode for the EEC V? Specifically if i throw on a O/R midpipe on my '01 GT does my tune (timing, and other stuff) really get thrown off into a "safe mode" till i fool the computer with MIL eliminators?

Please help! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes there is such a thing. Others might refer to it as limp mode. When the computer detects something that is too far out of wack it will run in a safe mode(similar to what windows will do when not shut down properly). Your O2 sensors are not running hot enough, so its throwing your emissions controls out of wack. Youll need programming or eliminators to correct it.

jstreet0204 said:
There is a limp mode, but it has no dependency on the rear o2 sensors, only the front o2's

so the MIL produced by "malfunctioning" rear O2's does not have any effect on vehicle performance or tune? Sweet!

Thanks for everyone's input! :nice:

I had my SES light come on two days ago because one of my MIL eliminators got wet and shorted out.. I drove around for 2 days with the SES light on and I noticed NO performance gain/loss.

I don't think the rear O2 sensors do anything other than monitor the efficiency of your cats. If they detect something out of the ordinary, you will get an SES light, but nothing else.

Riley