Mini Tubbn

Yellow5oh

Jan 23, 2017
Looking to mini tub but have some questions.. my final goal for the car is one great handling street driven car.. that i can take to a road course and have fun and kick butt.. what would be the best options for rear suspension.. My first thought is to not mini tub and just do full mm torque arm and pan hard bar with coilovers and run small tire.. but i would love to have a 275 rear tire.. i have an 89 coupe.. can anyone help me.. can u mini tub and run watts link or pan hard bars..

• Sponsors (?)

Mini tub, i've got an idea.:nonono:
IMG_1324.JPG

You can fit 275's in your current wheel housing with a BFH.

You really won't need more tire for a road course vehicle. Mini tubbing plays more with a drag car. Mind you 315's on a fox look hot!:nice:

You can run a watts linkage or a panhard bar with a mini-tub, but you better be handy modifying though. Maximum Motorsports does offer some really nice products, but you would have to modify the bracket that bolts to the left side of your rear end in order to run a PHB. BUT! It can be done.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the only image I could find with old tires, they were 275 35 ZR18. Look at that gap! Horrible. I need drop springs, but then i might get rub with those...

I run 245 40 ZR 18's up front btw. They rub a hair on big bumps and sharp turns in reverse.

20150627_144840.jpg

Mini tubbing looks cool with a pro touring type of look, no doubt.
But is it worth the extra work and cost? Will the type of parts that make the car handle great still fit? Not sure, but some guys have had clearance issues with panhard bars.

You can run a 275 tire. I do and it's a really wide fitting drag radial. So if you run a standard radial it will be more narrow. I purchased a panhard bar because it rubbed on the stock tubs during hard cornering.

Mini tubbing the car is only for someone that is really committed to it, has the money in hand and or the skills to do the work. It's something to be taken very seriously, because once you start cutting, it's happening...

Reactions: 2 users
Looking to mini tub but have some questions.. my final goal for the car is one great handling street driven car.. that i can take to a road course and have fun and kick butt.. what would be the best options for rear suspension.. My first thought is to not mini tub and just do full mm torque arm and pan hard bar with coilovers and run small tire.. but i would love to have a 275 rear tire.. i have an 89 coupe.. can anyone help me.. can u mini tub and run watts link or pan hard bars..
If you just want to look cool then by all means cram a 315 in there. If you really want to perform then a 275 tire is what you want. 200xp8 is spot on with his advice. Unless you are committed to performing surgery stick with the 275 and stiff rear suspension to keep the body from rolling onto the tires during a hard corner.

Question, are you guys lowered at all running the 275's without rub?
My car has been lowered pretty much forever.
IMO, lowering has little effect in the rear. It's a solid axle it goes straight up when the car is dropped down. Lowering the rear is no different than having 300lbs in the back seat.
When you lower the car the axle sits in a spot that it's been traveling to during bumps anyway.

That was exactly my thought on the matter. It used to have that free room to travel but after its lowered I expected that free room to be gone and the tires hit the wells on bumps.

What are your specs on springs and shocks? How many inches? No rubbing at all on bumps or hard corners?

Because I'm on 18" rims and now run 275/40's I'm thinking 2" in rear drop would look awesome if I can get away with it.

And in the future I'm definitely going to mini tub. I want a 4 link suspension, 2" drop, and whatever it takes to push those 315's all the way out to the edge of my fenders. Matter of fact I might modify those fenders to get a little wider too. I got plans, but its gonna be several years.

2 inches is pretty extreme on lowering. I wouldn't purposely attempt any more than 1.5.

I run H&R rear springs from MM (i forget which set, but they are wayyyyy softer than my saleen progressives I used to have). MM coil overs in front with 275lb springs.

Your tire size should probably be 275 35 18. This size is really close in height to the original 225 55 16 tires.
275 40 18 is about an inch taller.

So I take it you like the softer springs then the saleen progressives?

I'd say yes. I haven't pushed it hard, but I used the springs in the rear the MM guys suggested.
I've also been on a mission lately to make my car (it's been a lot of different setups in the last 25 years) into the best all around car I can make it. I'm done with the idea of a one trick wonder. I want it to go straight, handle and ride well, as opposed to being great at one of those things and horrible at the other two.

Reactions: 1 user