Minor Accident What Would You Do?

This ALL happened to me last year and was the reason I got the WHOLE car repainted! My driver admitted fault and agreed to pay for everything. I chose to call the insurance company who denied ALL fault. I was screwed. Get an estimate and take HIS money. I would not call the insurance company
Yup. In my experience if your stories conflict, it is no fault and if you have no collision on your own car you are screwed. In fact if both cars are drivable in Pa the accident is a "non reportable" and the police have no interest in even coming to look.

• Sponsors (?)

FYI.. Here in VA the police will not take a report after the fact. One can only be taken on the scene of the accident. They will only get involved after if the information he provided me is incorrect and I end up having to track him down.

FYI.. Also, in my story above about the idiot who I ran into because he stopped on the highway. The policeman at that scene agreed that it looked like it was the other drivers fault and wrote him a ticket. But when it came to insurance they didn't care about that and assigned the fault to me... I think because at that point he'd retained a lawyer and was claiming injuries. So I dunno? None of this gives me very good vibes about any of my options on this.

I wasted my morning getting 3 estimates: $780, $860 and $1030. Believe it or not based on the estimates there's $340 for a new headlight and side marker light, which is crazy! All estimates assume no interior damage, so its just a rework of the bumper. I called the guy and gave him the news and he still says he'll just pay me. He says he'll give me the money this weekend. Obviously he wants to go with the $780 estimate, but the $860 quote is from the same place that just repainted my trunk lid and trim moldings, so I'll probably go with them.

I asked him to send me an note by email by the end of today, admitting to the accident and saying that he has agreed to pay to repair the damage to my car. I told him that if I don't receive this from him in I'll just call my insurance company and go from there. That seemed like a reasonable compromise to give me some level of assurance that I have something in writing from him saying he has agreed to pay. Not sure if it's anything legally binding, but it's a paper trail.

Last edited:
I've been in an accident where the person that hit me was an illegal, had no DL nor any auto insurance. He also spoke no English, only Spanish (this was when I lived in San Diego). Fortunately the accident happened near a school and a bilingual teacher assisted the conversation between us two. He didn't want me to call the Police or the insurance company. He offered to pay me cash. I agreed, I got two estimates around $1,750 and the guy a week later met up with me and paid in cash. Heck, he even offered to buy my damaged truck for $5k on the spot. I declined and fixed my truck.

It all worked out for me, hopefully you got hit by an honest person like me, lol.

How bout this for some insurance BS: Had some hail damage on 2 cars n the insurance co sets up a "car clinic" where they have their guy look em over and cut a check. So then I take cars to bodyshops for estimates and most of em want to see the check before they give estimate. I tell em no and most won't even do the estismate after that.

What a load of crap. Next time you go get an estimate, don't bother telling them you have an insurance check.

I have been particularly unlucky getting hit by others. The police are almost always worthless. I only had one instance where the police report was of any relevance, and it was when they issued a DUI to a lady who hit my car while my little brother was driving it. DUI's make the state tons of money. Law Enforcement is a business, designed to make money. Coming out to write accident reports and issue citations for collisions costs the state money. Any citation written by an officer who did not physically witness the accident is going to get dropped with a half page motion for dismissal. The state ends of fronting money for court costs and filing fees with no return. I have had multiple instances where the other person got a ticket, and the insurance said it was no fault. For future reference, the only way you are ever going to get a party to be found at fault is to get an independent witness to make a statement. If you are in an accident, hopefully someone else who saw it will stop and help. Get their information, so they can write a statement. Another helpful tip is to keep comp and collision coverage on your car. That way, your insurance company will be on your side. If they know that they don't need to pay a claim, they will not go after the other party on your behalf.

Kurt

What a load of crap.

Kurt

My wife 15 months ago was in an at fault accident. It's when she was around 4 months pregnant with our twin girls. She rear ended a car at about 40 mph and that car hit some other cars. Her car was totaled. She was immediately taken to the ER for an ultrasound to check on the babies which were OK. Just BEFORE the ultrasound a Washington State Trooper came in and gave my wife a ticket. The traffic violation is mandatory by the State if your at fault and carried a $135 fine. As if we didn't have enough to worry about with the accident and worrying about the welfare of our unborn children the greedy State of Washington had to make sure they get paid.

It's all about revenue for the police dept. Like @revhead347 said, it's a business.

Reactions: 1 user
I was sitting at a traffic light waiting to make a left hand turn when a guy hit me from behind doing 40mph and punted me through the intersection. Cop shows up and writes the guy a ticket for no insurance. I asked the cop why no traffic ticket and he just looked at me and said "it is not my job to decide who is at fault here" I was stunned! Not your job? Really? When I asked the cop what was his job, he did not take it very well.

A couple months ago, the cops here decided they can't respond to traffic accidents anymore do to man power issues. They'll come if a car can't be moved or there's an injury, but other than that, they don't show up anymore. They do still have enough people to write speeding tickets though.

I've pretty much given up on the police. I live in a state that's open carry but there really isn't any crime. All the police are good for is more problems for me most cases. All I see on the internet is cops killing people and brutality. I'd rather stay home and not deal with any of them.

I've pretty much given up on the police. I live in a state that's open carry but there really isn't any crime. All the police are good for is more problems for me most cases. All I see on the internet is cops killing people and brutality. I'd rather stay home and not deal with any of them.

True, true. You hear too much about cops showing up at the wrong address and shooting unleashed dogs on their private property and cops get away with it.

I think I'm going to crank up a good NWA song right now.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple months ago, the cops here decided they can't respond to traffic accidents anymore do to man power issues. They'll come if a car can't be moved or there's an injury, but other than that, they don't show up anymore. They do still have enough people to write speeding tickets though.

Just tell them you are driving a donut truck and all of your jelly filled donuts are all over the road; they'll be there in 5 minutes.

Sounds like Detoilet.

Kurt

This him?
image.jpg

We had a work truck broken into in Camden, NJ about a week ago. I called to file a police report. They informed me that they only respond to Homicides and some domestic violence incidents. Any "trivial" claims would not be processed. They said I could petition the officer in charge at the police station but would physically have to drive there to do so... I quit and completely give up on society...

Insurance claims are CIVIL DISPUTES, meaning it is between you (a private person) and the insurance company (a private company).

Police actions, such as citations or arrest, are for CRIMINAL or TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS.

The Police cannot make someone pay for your damages, only a court can do this. However, if you call the Police WHEN the accident happens, a GOOD Police Officer can make accurate documentation concerning driver statements, witness statements and physical evidence. This can aid you in your CIVIL DISPUTE with the insurance company. Any reports filed after the fact, are MOST TIMES just your words typed on paper by someone else. And yes, just because the Police place a certain driver at fault, does not mean the insurance company agrees.

Joe