Minor Problem

bentley429isBAC

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
CT
Well, Ive been bit by the lightning bug again though Ive never owned one ive been on the prowl for one for months at a time on and off for the past 7 years. Missed one about 4 years ago the I still kick my self for. Anyways, I am thinking about getting one for a daily. I currently drive a reg cab 2500 chevy year round and the 4x4 is great in bad storms, but I survived for a few years driving my 94 2wd 150 just fine. I'd like to find one that is in pretty decent shape, something I could drive for awhile and eventually just turn it into another toy. Basicly I am just looking for opinions.

I found one local that needs a lot of work, fenders, cab corners, a bed, exhaust and who knows what else but I could get it for 1800. Ive never seen one that bad, 130k on it.

Does it make sense to get one as a daily(not necessarily the one I described) and eventually have it as a 4th vechile or should I just get a real junker and wait and find a mint one. Sorry that all sounds like rambling.

EDIT: I am talking 93-95 lightnings, dont want a 99+

• Sponsors (?)

This is funny, I just went through the same thing this week. I've wanted a 1st gen for years and on Thursday I came across a decent red '93 with 106K. All original - still had decals, roll pan, and awesome interior. But the paint was peeling, a few good dents and rusted tailgate. They were asking $4,000, which I thought was a fair price.

But I chose to pass because I didn't want my Mustang budget to suffer because of it being torn apart. I wanted to get the Lightning as a DD, but then I thought I couldn't do that to a truck that I love too much. Too many of those trucks were used as... well trucks. I just couldn't see myself getting in and out everyday covered in body shop dirt and destroying those cool seats. Then the winter driving throwing all that salt on her. Anyway, that's why I didn't do it. Oh yeah, the mileage would have been way worse than my Cutlas Cierra, ha ha.

Depends on how much you plan on driving it, and snow tires will probably be a must in the winter time. My 2nd gen lightning was junk in the snow without snowtires, and it loved gas stations

Honestly id prob just drive it this winter and then it would be a toy that I drive more then my car. If the snow.is to bad id just drive my other truck. Both will be hosed down on the undercarriage in wd or diesel. Pretty sure the 1st gens can get up to 15 mpg if you drive normal which I am cool with. Chances of me finding one is slim to none anytlways ha.

I'd get a real nice 1st gen for a weekend toy. Don't see many 1st gens around and are a sweet truck that said it would make a nice daily also. MY step dad drove 2wd truck for many years in N/E winters he would run dedicated winter tires like blizzaks for example. The truck would go through just about anything ( with weight in the back of course).