MLP Sensor a.k.a Neutral Safety Switch

94_302

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
Miami
A while back I first had an issue that when driving on the highway the car would act like it downshifted, except it was on cruise control so it would maintain the same speed but at a much higher rev. I thought I would be looking at a new TQ Converter since I also had Shudder Issues. I put in a tranny cooler and flushed it with Mercon V and that worked great for a bit but the highway issue was still occurring. Finally I read some recommendations on the MLP Sensor which all parts places, even the Dealership, refer to as the Neutral Safety Switch.

I saw some people mention that it is a quick and easy replacement, that I have to disagree with. Unless you have tiny hands or maybe have aftermarket exhaust and the mid pipe sits a little lower than the factory pipe. I was not able to fit an 8mm socket and did not have a ratcheting 8mm wrench so I had to remove it and install it by hand which took a while. Not to mention popping off the sensor which require a careful maneuver of one finger and a flat head screwdriver because thats about all I could fit to pop it off. Once you get it off though putting it back on is easy. I would have taken pics but I forgot my digital camera, if you have the Chiltons Guide for our cars it's listed under Neutral Safety Switch.

I put the new one on that I got from advanced auto for about $30 or so and the first time the car did not start I went under the car and found that the two notches that need to be aligned had shifted when I installed it. Once that got fixed the car started and just completed a two hour road trip without any issues. If anyone has issues with the car popping out of overdrive on the highway give this a try.

I was worried I would not be able to find it but if you lay on your back behind the front left wheel it's mounted on the tranny a little hidden at first behind by the exhaust pipe but it's there.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with you. A small box-end wrench (or ratcheting box-end) is needed. It is a tight fit.

Did your old one not ohm out correctly? Starting in P and finishing in 1, the values should all drop (in Ohms). I have the actual range of values per gear somewhere.

I agree with you. A small box-end wrench (or ratcheting box-end) is needed. It is a tight fit.

Did your old one not ohm out correctly? Starting in P and finishing in 1, the values should all drop (in Ohms). I have the actual range of values per gear somewhere.

Posted via Mobile Device
I did not check the ohms. The notches did no line up though. I think moisture may have gotten in to the sensor as it was the original without the orange gasket which i read was the revised one.