MM CC Plate Spacer Question

Metalli485

Nov 10, 1998
Plano, TX
I just installed Maximum Motorsport CC plates on my 2000 GT and I setup the spacers per MM’s instructions for lowered cars. The strut top to hood clearance was fine before I got an alignment (did the play-dough test). After the alignment the passenger side strut top ended up too close to the hood and ‘taps’ intermittently while driving (did the play-dough test again with the verdict). :doh:

I need to move one of the metal spacers below the bearing plate to move the strut top down and away from the hood. This would be very easy if I took off the bearing plate but I don’t want to mess up my brand new alignment. I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Put front on jack stands
2. Place jack under control arm
3. Remove strut top nut
4. Lower control arm
5. Take off one spacer above bearing plate
6. Use a larger flathead screwdriver to push straight down on the top of the strut (My struts have a slot at the very top). Compress the strut until it is below the bearing plate.
7. Have a buddy hold on to the strut shaft while you remove the screwdriver
8. Tell your buddy to do his best to slow down the strut as it starts moving up
9. Slip the spacer over the strut top before it gets to the bearing plate
10. Tighten down strut top nut

If my thinking is right, I should be able to do that without affecting the alignment. Should I give it a try or just stop being stupid, remove the bearing plate, and get an alignment again.

• Sponsors (?)

What about it would be dangerous? I would be able to relax the spring to where it doesn't have any compression. I installed the struts, shocks, springs, and cc plates in my garage and I don't understand what the problem would be. The eibach springs are short enough where I can lower the control arm to the point where they are uncompressed and the strut is still inside the cc plate.

Another idea is to unbolt the strut from the top and bottom. This of course would be done with the spring at its free length.

I don't know why you couldn't remove your struts without moving the CC plates...? Just undo the top bolt and no more or maybe the lower bolt too but I wouldn't think that you need to move the plates... And if you had to move the plates, get a white grease pencil and mark the alignments...

:shrug:

Now the alignment, I don't know why your strut would now be higher into your engine bay. That sounds odd.

Pointless to remove the plates.You will be fine by just sliding the strut down,and putting one of the spacers from the top to the bottom side.I had to do the same.Just be careful,and lower the control arm all the way down until there is no more tension on it so you can get easy access to the strut itself and not worry about the suspension unloading you front of your face....that's my tip.It's always good to have a buddy helping you out just incase.
I know with my Sportlines there wasn't much tension on them once i started to lower the control arm.So depending on the spring you have,take extra care. ;)

Now the alignment, I don't know why your strut would now be higher into your engine bay. That sounds odd.

The MM CC plates come with spacers that move the strut top a couple of inches higher above the strut tower. Take a look at the FAQ section on the MM website for an explanation of why.

When you get an alignment the struts tops may end up in a totally different place since they are sticking up a couple of inches. Mine just so happened to move into the hood. They didn't move up after the alignment. Rather they moved to the side.

Pointless to remove the plates.You will be fine by just sliding the strut down,and putting one of the spacers from the top to the bottom side.I had to do the same.Just be careful,and lower the control arm all the way down until there is no more tension on it so you can get easy access to the strut itself and not worry about the suspension unloading you front of your face....that's my tip.It's always good to have a buddy helping you out just incase.
I know with my Sportlines there wasn't much tension on them once i started to lower the control arm.So depending on the spring you have,take extra care. ;)

:nice:

you could mark the lower plate for the alignment and then just make sure its lined up right when you put it back on. when i swapped my spacers around i jacked the front up, undid the top nut, sway bar end link, and tie rod end then lowered the strut down. taking the plate off seems like itd be quicker, just dont forget to mark it for the alignment.

On my 02 GT with a Cobra hood, I had to make small notches in the underside of the hood as it ever so slightly contacted the struts. I followed their instructions and used 2 large and 1 small spacer on the top.

you should be able to lower the control arm enough so the strut slides out of the plate. IIRC the MM installation instructions have you do it that way when installing the plates the first time.

The MM CC plates come with spacers that move the strut top a couple of inches higher above the strut tower. Take a look at the FAQ section on the MM website for an explanation of why.

When you get an alignment the struts tops may end up in a totally different place since they are sticking up a couple of inches. Mine just so happened to move into the hood. They didn't move up after the alignment. Rather they moved to the side.

Gotcha!