MM&FF compare between the BBK SSI and a Ported Cobra

srothfuss

Last night I stabbed the same guy 7 times in a row
Oct 17, 2004
Woodward Ave.
I was just flipping through the June '06 issue of MM and FF. They took '93 LX with stock ported heads, F cam, 12 degrees of timing and compared a FRPP cobra intake (ported lower) and the SSI intake. It looks like the SSI had more power throughout the entire RPM range in both HP and TQ.

Anyone else see this?

• Sponsors (?)

Every combo will produce different results and right now BBK is trying to promote the heck out of their intake.

I would take that article with a grain of salt.

I would not go through all the work and change the intake along with having to move the FPR, EGR and stuff along with adding weight and added cost.
Just my $.02

Oh, I am not promoting the intake... I'll be the first to tell you it's overpriced. I was just sharing about the article.

The numbers were not that far off. Less than 20 for both HP and TQ at the peaks, but the BBI was constantly above the Cobra...

Down where I work, they have a SSI intake hanging on the wall, and I went to go check it out.

That ****er is HEAVY and HUGE.

I asked about it, but the guy helping me wasn't sure what the deal was with it.

I guess BBK finally got the design down and they're being shipped to retailers now? Sounds good - even if it's a little overpriced, I think the 5.0 market can always use new parts, especially intakes.

Nvidia said:
I think the 5.0 market can always use new parts, especially intakes.
I am a firm believer in new parts, just not 5.0 intakes. There are only so many things you can do with an intake and it has already been done. :dead:

Just add it to the other hundred intakes on the market. :crazy:

Never tried any aftermarket intake (yet) but I do agree... Why not make it lighter, better and different from all the others?

Why just do a marketing promotion to leave eveyone shaking their heads?

it would be nice if AFR had a intake that went great with there heads...maybe they do but i havent heard of it....i would like to upgrade my street heat but im not willing to spend another 400 on an intake that will only flow 30 cfm more.....(track heat) and on top of that lose some streetability

lxwants12's said:
it would be nice if AFR had a intake that went great with there heads...maybe they do but i havent heard of it....i would like to upgrade my street heat but im not willing to spend another 400 on an intake that will only flow 30 cfm more.....(track heat) and on top of that lose some streetability

Frank, you're not going to lose streetability with a track heat upper. You're only going to gain. You only would need the upper anyway, which isn't $400. I told you I used to have a tfs street heat on my 302 and it was too small for that. A holley is what you really need. I run a "big" tfs R manifold and my street car has excellent streetability :nice:

really i was told i would lose some streetability, and i thought i couldnt only buy the upper?....i would really like the tfs r myself.....hmmmm...i hate it when your right Mike.....

lxwants12's said:
hmmmm...i hate it when your right Mike.....

Get used to it Frank ;) :D

Can you please tell me how the FU CK you'd lose streetability putting a better manifold on your big inch 347? I personally would put a holley or an rpm II on it though. But if its quick enough for you, leave it as is. You don't need an R intake for your combo unless you change the camshaft to work with it :nice:

Yes you can buy the track heat upper seperatly.

from where? trick flow directly? i know i am getting used to you being right bout it...my car is quick...but lets be real here mike...is there such thing as quick enough?!?!?!?!? i couldnt imagine th thought of that

lxwants12's said:
from where? trick flow directly? i know i am getting used to you being right bout it...my car is quick...but lets be real here mike...is there such thing as quick enough?!?!?!?!? i couldnt imagine th thought of that

You can get it from any trickflow dealer. But I read yor post about your girl being pregnant and after reading that if you want my honest opinion i'd keep the car as is for now until you're settled in with the kid and have some extra money to burn on the car. I'm jealous :(

lxwants12's - Putting a (better) more expensive intake doesn't mean that you will get better power everywhere.

Edit: I think a RPM II would be awesome for your car to complement the "further" torque you already have..., I'm not all about getting the "biggest" intake to fit...if it is just on a 347. good luck...