MM/Steeda Adj. Tie-rod ends

AP1995V6

Jul 13, 2003
Oxford, MS
I recently had a tie-rod come off on my car because I'm a genius and forgot to put the cotter pin back in. It was a pretty terrifying experience.

So I'm looking at getting adjustable ends, shortened swaybar endlinks and x2 ball joints to minimize the binding of my steering to do an offset geometry (I still get some creeking/popping noises when turning the wheel at a stop or slow roll).

I was looking at the tie-rod kits, and it looks like they just use nylock nuts and no pins. I was wondering if anyone has put a lot of miles on these tie-rod ends without them coming loose? I'm sure they wouldn't sell a hazardous product, but I want some consumer feedback. I don't want to crap in my car twice.

• Sponsors (?)

For what its worth Ford vehicles really dont use cotters anymore. Not all but a lot dont. Town Car doesnt use them at all in the front suspension. They use nylocks and definitely arent prone to loosening. Usually we have to torch them till the nylon melts and replace them. On the other hand when properly torqued down Ive never seen a suspension bolt back all the way off. At least not so fast that there werent any warning sounds or weird feeling in the wheel. Did the tie rod end break at all?

Again you got me zero...yea how did you not notice it coming off? Then again you didn't know the tie rod was failing the first time..:p Be careful with tierods...pretty soon you luck will run out at this rate.:nono:

Zero, he just replaced his tie rod very recently so there was no time for corrosion to set in I guess. But yea...makes me wonder if it was torqued properly:shrug: .

I did coil-overs at the end of the summer.

I had it torqued down properly but forgot to put the cotter pin back in.

I noticed excessive creaking and popping when turning the wheel and someone had suggested tie-rod ends. I was actually going home that weekend to check it out, but the nut wiggled off and the tie rod dropped off the spindle while I was at a stop light.

This has only happened once...

That bastard is on there now. And I check it everytime before I start the car just for self reassurance.

But good info on the nylock stuff. I only first experience nylock bolts when I installed my coil-over stuff.

I have a bumpsteer kit with the nylock nuts, and I had one come loose on me. I actually drove it for weeks before finally tracking the awful vibration down. When I did, I almost laid an egg in my pants.. I corner hard in this car, so if it'd come off the last couple threads in a corner I'd probably be dead or in the hospital.

Lesson: CHECK THEM REGULARLY, and locktite doesn't hurt.