Mobil 1 sucks

spanky442

Feb 3, 2004
I kept hearing how great the stuff was, so I decided to try it in my 93 Cobra. Well, it goes through a quart of it every 500 miles or so. So, I went back to dino oil. Anyone have experience with this?

• Sponsors (?)

SkylineGTR said:
Don't blame the oil, it's not its fault.

Yeah exactly its not the oils fault...the oil is a bit thinner...use thicker oil...your burning oil somewhere or a leak...check it out or have someone check it out for ya...

David

technically, it isnt a good idea to switch to syn after running regular for a long time. the syn has more cleaning agents in it, and will remove alot of built up material around your gaskets and cause your gaskets to leak. switch back to regular, and you will be fine. its best to run synthetic from day one, or while the engine is still very new.

spanky442 said:
no, there is no problem with the engine. I ran it about 500 mile on mobil one and lost almost a quart. switched back and its is back to normal now.

NO! There IS a problem with the engine. The thinner oil is finding a leak, and leaking out. By using a thicker oil, it is not leaking. If you have a really leaky gasket, I guess you just go get some paste and fill her up...

spanky442 said:
no, there is no problem with the engine. I ran it about 500 mile on mobil one and lost almost a quart. switched back and its is back to normal now.

there is. The thicker oil is just hiding the problem. Sence its thicker its not as likley to seep out from where ever its leaking. Its not a big deal, but it can be a sighn of things to come.

spanky442 said:
no, there is no problem with the engine.
If it is leaking oil then how is there no problem? You can cover it up by using mineral oil but that doesn't make it go away. You have damaged seals and/or gaskets that need to be replaced if you want your engine to be clean.

I switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) on a vehicle with over 200k miles and it was always lubricated by petrol oil. No leaks and the gas mileage improved quite a lot. That tells the engine was still quite healthy.

I switched to full synthetic at 88,000, now I burn about 1 qt. every 1,000, as compared to 1,500 miles with the blended oils. I know I have some small leaks, but it's worth the extra protection in the winter. This year I've had a few starts in the A.M. at 5* outside, and I hear no tapping whatsoever vs. when I used to use the regular or blends. I'd rather spend an extra couple of dollars between oil changes and add and extra quart instead of wrecking my engine. Summer I use Mobil 1 20w-50 and use even less oil. Don't blame the product, blame the car.

well, no matter what we use, they are going to go through some oil. I just don't know if its better to switch or just continue with what car is used to. relax people, the engine is fine, its 11yrs old I'm sure its going to go through some oil and may have leaks. Its not smoking, and oil is not mixing with anything else. Compression is right where is should be so in worst case I may have to do the valve cover gaskets or pan gasket one day.

yeah with mobile 1 I started at about 109k and right now i'm at 115k and leak a little bit of oil out of the pan, well maybe alot but since I'm redo alot of the engine I'll just stick another gasket in there and I should be good to go.

see, thank you that answers my question. I will have to test Mobil 1 a couple more times and keep an eye out for leaks. Worst comes to it I change the valve cover and pan gaskets which no matter what would not be a bad plan considoring age of vehicle.