Mob's project thread

• Sponsors (?)

Little update got the intercooler today.

1000952.jpg

1000953.jpg

1000951.jpg

Dont worry about the bumper, I am getting a new one before I am done.
1000949.jpg

Another pic of the turbo, its not huge but I will be looking to upgrade later.

1000869a.jpg

Yea, I am going to be using the BG hotside but i dont have it yet, it is next on the list, its pretty pricey though at 500 with the wastegate flange. But well worth it from what I've heard. Once I get the headers on, and give the turbo a place to sit i will start building the rest of the cold side.

Not much progress but a few more pics. I am hoping to take out the tranny soon, and pull the engine so i can get started on some of the front end work and welding up the engine bay. I just dont want to spend 200 on a hoist so I am looking around to borrow one or I may just rent one.

img6071.jpg

img6070.jpg

img6068.jpg

img6069.jpg

Just a couple new parts, the motor should be coming out next week sometime, at the same time that I work on the motor, I will be working on setting up the ignition so I can hide the wires, and ignition box. I hope to have a bunch more pics by the end of next week.

picturevne.jpg

So I did some work today, I took the easy/cheap/lazy way out and didnt pull the motor so I can get it running asap, because i will be using it as my daily driver again and am getting my license back sooner than i thought, but the turbo project is still underway. I am going to be pulling the oil pan soon to tap it for the drain line, and to change the gasket, and motor mounts real soon. I did some work on the engine to clean up some of the rust build up on the cylinder walls because I didnt want to have to hone it. heres what I did.

1001072.jpg

1001073.jpg

Paper towels soaked in rust remover and cerain rap.
1001071s.jpg

With a little wd40 and steel wool heres what it looks like now.
1001082.jpg

1001083w.jpg

1001083w.jpg

Put the head back on just to keep the rust out
1001084r.jpg

Stock heads I picked up, I am gonna get these cleaned up and use em.
1001077.jpg

My new mounts
1001069w.jpg

Notchback your thread did inspire me man I gotta tell you. I didn't get the evapo-rust because I can get some other rust remover from my work for cheap, but I am sure that evapo-rust works better But it did inspire me. I've actually been running around trying to find a 5 gallon bucket of evapo-rust to dump my heads in overnight but I cant find it.

90lxcoupe, I am not worried about drive ability. Since day one I've been ditching stuff that makes this car "comfortable". I am also ditching the P/S. That's a good deal for the wires but I already got a 6al I gotta mount and hook up. I want to get MSD wires but there so expensive I'm just going with FRPP.

Just a few words of advise. BG turbo systems is a joke. I know someone who has one of there so called turbo kits for a 95. It fit like trash! We cut apart the hot and cold side tubing and re piped it to fit better. Are you porting the stock heads? Do you have all of your cold side tubing yet? I've got a great source for aluminum tubing, let me know and i'll send you a link. Good luck btw!

I am planning on just using the BG hotisde. Hopefully it comes good, ive only heard good things. I plan on using steel pipes for the cold side because I dont know how to weld aluminum. Any negatives to that?

Steel doesn't disapate the heat like aluminum does, it becomes heat soaked rather quickly, especially if you run it close to the hot side tubing. Aluminum is not that much more money, is light weight and doesn't rust. The steel will work and you can always upgrade later.

Yea, I'll just stick with the steal for now, maybe I'll just add a COLD air intake to it. Ha, but seriously, the money isnt the issue its that I dont know how to weld aluminum.

You can make a coldside from aluminum without welding.

Go on ebay and get the "universal" IC pipe kits, you can get them in alot of sizes and they come with clamps and couplers and you can just cut where needed and use the silicone couplers to fasten it all together.

Yea, I guess its function over form but man I cant stand seeing those silicone couplers every 2 inches its like you got silicone pipe connected by aluminum pipes, but we'll see.

I dont think it would be as bad as you think. If your going to be plumbing the your pipes similar to most single fox setups. You shouldnt have too many couplers, definatly not every few inches. I dont have any links but i remember searching around on the builds forum on TTF and saw alot of builds with weldless coldsides.