Mod up to the competition and bigger brother?

Dreadnaught

Aug 5, 2006
This has been a question on my mind for some time now. I've always been quick to bash people who buy rice burners, or other inexpensive imports, and sink thousands of dollars into them making them a better car - both mechanically and aesthetically. Example - Buy a $10,000 car, sink $15,000 into it (parts, labor, paint, etc) now you have a $25,000 car when you could have just bought say...a Mustang GT. Now which out performs which in the above theoretical arguement is hard to say, but the principle remains.

We know the current statistics of the GT500 and Mustang GT, so I'll use these two for the posed question: How much would it cost you to upgrade the Mustang GT both mechanically and aesthetically (parts, labor, paint jobs) to run in the same class as the GT500?

A fun qestion which lacks hard stats on one side: How much do you believe it will cost your Mustang GT to have a definitive edge on the conceptual/soon-to-be produced Camaro and Challenger - if any upgrades are needed that is?

This question may take time to think should you choose to throw a figure down, there are alot of possible upgrades that would be involved as well as a good knowledge of car mechanics and price values.

Hopefully we can get some opinions down!

• Sponsors (?)

Spdfreak said:
I think it would be cheaper to just buy the GT500 than to upgrade a GT.

I could be wrong, however.
I disagree

If MSRP for a GT-500 is $47k then that gives you roughly $20k to play with. I could do a lot with $20k!!

To add, markup in the NW is roughly $3-4k for a GT and the mark up for GT-500 is what, $10-20k? That even furthers the margin.

Also, I think the GT-500, Saleens, and Roush mustangs are great but for me the GT allows me to make it the way I want it. For example- I don't think anyone would sink money into a Saleen, Roush, or GT-500 and decide to make it look like a through back Boss.

I bought a 2800 mile second hand Mustang GT, strapped on a 462bhp Vortech supercharger, Spec Stage 2 clutch, blinged the underbonnet area, Steeda strut brace, BMR lower brace, Tokico D-Spec shocks, Roush springs, Metco LCAs, Corsa mufflers and X-pipe and a set of 20" rims and tyres and it still cost a lot less than a stock S281.

It's not a GT500 and probably at the limit of a 4.6 power adder but it's quite a saving. May need the Roush sway bars to finish it though.

I think it's my generation (22 years old), and lack of mechanical knowledge that gives me a rule that the higher HP car wins - bur I'm not stupid enough to believe that statement entirely.

Could you please elaborate on specific upgrades svttech for the s197 that would make it "a hell of a lot faster than either of those two" - those two being the GT500 and the camaro/challenger - I'm assuming?

And the $20k thing, let's assume for argument sake that both cars can be purchased at their MSRP - coupe version for each.

for 20 grand you could go forced induction with a built bottom end and lower compression so you can run a LOT of boost.. with head work FI and a buiult bottom end you will be able to make way more power than either of those cars. Then the rest of the money can be spent in the suspension and suring up the rear end and trans. If at somepoint you descide to do this post on here and we can help you with exactly what parts to buy.

20 grand in mods and you can be well over 500 to the wheels.

Thanks svt. While I'm not concerned about my GT being in the same arena as the GT500, I am a tad bit worried about it hanging with the Camaro and Challenger. I'm not into racing at all, and any performance upgrades would be limited - however I do like to know that the power is underneath the hood should I choose to use it. Guess we will have to see what the other two cars bring against the Mustang (or how Ford handles the new Mustang concept).

Dreadnaught said:
Thanks svt. While I'm not concerned about my GT being in the same arena as the GT500, I am a tad bit worried about it hanging with the Camaro and Challenger. I'm not into racing at all, and any performance upgrades would be limited - however I do like to know that the power is underneath the hood should I choose to use it. Guess we will have to see what the other two cars bring against the Mustang (or how Ford handles the new Mustang concept).

hanging with the new camaro and challenger will be EASY with mods. I really would not worry about it too much