Modern Rims On Our Old Classic - No Go

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
So I saw these cool 5 lug modern Mustang rims with a vintage look to them on our local Craigslist the other day, the price was right $130 for the set, so I called up the dude, and found out they were off of a 2005-09 Mustang but they were metric so they would not fit my '68.

Are you guys aware of this?

2005-09rims.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

i have used adapters to put later model wheels on early cars, and i can tell you that they work just fine. i put a set of phone dial wheels from a mid 80s mustang on my 64 falcon, as well as a 66 falcon, both with the six. put many miles on the combination with no issues at all. understand that the adapters bolt to the hubs, where as spacers just hang over the studs. and yes it does make a difference. in the end the choice is yours, if you like the look of the wheels, go for it. however my first choice would be to find wheels that have the look you want, but properly fit the car in the first place without the adapters.

Late model wheels on a classic

I bought a set of these to put on my 65 fastback bacause they reminded me of the 65 Shelby GT 350 wheels. I used 1 1/4" spacers and they fit perfectly.
Are they metric? Yes and no. All Ford did was convert the standard Ford 4.5" bolt circle to metric numbers so they could say they were metric.

Note: 5x4.5 inches is 5x114.3 mm

I have those wheels and spacers on my 68 Cougar. I don't necessarily "love" the look, but I don't hate them either. I haven't had any issues with adapters, I torqued them to the hubs with 80 FT LBS, and the same on the lug nuts.