Mods Completed. Now car is a Dog.

DJHA90

Dec 17, 2002
Texas
I just finished installing BBK Longtubes, BBK Shorty H-Pipes, C&L 76mm MAF/True-Flow pipe, and a Performer intake on my 95 GT convertible: Car sounds lopey at idle and is doggy when I get on it. Fuel pressure is set at 40lbs no vac. Timing has never been changed.

Things to check??

• Sponsors (?)

It's probably a timing issue. Maybe a tooth off or so. Also LT's will make the car run richer due to the O2's down stream. You got some tuning to do. Check for vacuum leaks too. Check some plugs. That will tell you what's going also.

rio95 said:
are you saying that with a longtube install, the fuel pressure has to be changed?? if so, what is the process for that?

You need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. My recommendation is a Kirban. The EEC senses the O2's are colder due to the new placement on the long tubes. The EEC will dump more fuel to compensate. Turn the fuel pressure down a few psi and you will be OK.

well with the lt's you will loose low end torque but really make it up up top like someone allready said. the fuel pressure is something you gotta play with, check the timing and your ignition, check that you have no vacuum leaks after installing the intake and make sure you didnt damage the wires on the maf since you did mess around with that or that the maf sensor aint dirty.

VibrantRedGT said:
It's probably a timing issue. Maybe a tooth off or so. Also LT's will make the car run richer due to the O2's down stream. You got some tuning to do. Check for vacuum leaks too. Check some plugs. That will tell you what's going also.

I take it (from some of the rubs) that you ran into the same issues? How low did you go on the Fuel Pressure (For a starting point). And timing (For a starting point). Thanks for your help...

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
what is??...im confused..... :shrug:

Anthony

Your dizzy can't be a tooth off. If your timing is set at 12* ATDC it is at 12* ATDC weather your dizzy is in there crooked or not. Like when I did my Eddy install my dizzy was in crooked but it was still at 14* ATDC. Then I just re-stabbed it so it was in straight so that my plug wires lined up good. It didn't change the car at all.....it was and still is at 14* ATDC.

Jake

DJHA90 said:
Recommendations on timing? 12 degrees?
The factory set it to 10 degrees, most people on the boards set it to 14 degrees so I figured I'd compromise and go in the middle :p that way I can run 89 octane if I'm short on cash... had a pinging problem with it at 14 degrees and 89 octane

Mine doesn't ping on 89 with 16* so just see what your car responds to. I'd set it at 12* first and then at 14*. You prolly won't feel a difference, but most dyno's show no difference between 14* and 16* so I left mine at 14*.

Jake

Ok, so I finally set my timing at 13-14. Drastic improvement I can now feel the difference on the LTs and intake. :banana: It has just as good of low end as before -- But now it really howls at 2500 up.

Given my few performance mods, does it make sense to install the upgraded fuel pump and 24lb injectors at this time?