Mods for Mustang "Newbie"

fost9508

Aug 28, 2004
Had to put "Newbie" in for one of the people that responded to my last post :).

So I am looking for ideas for mods to my 88 GT 5L Mustang 5spd. I bought it used and it now has about 120K on it. Its hard to tell but I believe it is all stock except that it appears to have new spark plug wires, not sure if they are aftermarket or not, a K&N Filter with some sort of air box on it. Oh and this Mustang doesn't have a MAF, which I find odd since all the mechanic books I have show it for this year, anyway. I have done some forum searching and it appears that gears seem to be the first upgrade. Would people agree with this for my set-up? I understand that changing gears can affect your topspeed and acceleration, but that is my basic understanding. Is the process of selecting gears all about personal preference? Undestanding that getting gears to mesh is important so is this something I should send out to a shop to do and how much should I expect to pay for the gears and labor? Also, I don't have intentions just yet of taking this car to the track, just street stuff.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

• Sponsors (?)

is this car a AOD or 5 speed car?

I got lucky and found a fellow stang owner who had a 8.8 with gears already in it.
I got it for 200.00 but it looked crapy I had to paint and clean for a week b4 I felt good putting it in.

I would say somewhere between 300-500 bucks with parts installed.
Just make sure you get someone who knows what there doing with the gears.

They can really screw one up if it goes together wrong.

fost9508 said:
Oh and this Mustang doesn't have a MAF, which I find odd since all the mechanic books I have show it for this year, anyway.

Don't feel bad... it seems that Haynes and Chilton forgot all about us Speed Density folks. They've got a pretty little diagram for the CFI folks though, which is amazing because I've never seen that setup on a Mustang.

Newbie= :nice:

pisgahhiker was prob. about right w/ the gear pricing...gears are $200+$100 for the install kit I believe and then labor on top of that, so yeah.

88 Mustangs from California had mass air, others didn't, so yours isn't a CA car. 89 was the first year for Mass air on other stangs.

Since you did indeed note that it's a 5 speed car, I'd say 3.55's or 3.73's would probably be your best bet. It is about personal preference. Most guys who drive on the highway a lot, I believe, typically choose 3.55's. 3.73's are touted as the ideal street/strip gear and I've read that the MPG doesn't change that much from 3.55 to 3.73. There are also other choices in between those....I know 3.90 is one and I think there's a 3.6x, so you could research that too if you wanna go that route.

You might consider some mufflers to get that thing sounding non-stock if that's what you want. Different strokes for different folks, but Flowmaster, Spintech, Mac, and a couple others are popular on here.

It is a 5spd manual.....thought I mentioned that. So it sounds like this is something to leave to the experts, which is what I thought. Can anybody give me a feeling of what the difference between 3.55's and 3.73's would be. Also, I can't remember what gears came stock with the 88.

Super Stanger, thanks for the help. So yeah, the higher the gear the higher your RPMS increase for a given speed...right? I originally thought about upgrading the exhaust but then read that gears may be the way to go. Not that I have given it much thought, but I was looking into a Bassani exhaust system, it is purely a bolt on system.

thanks again

Gears are definetly great but without some good tires out back your not going anywhere fast w/o traction. At least that was my experience w/ my 88. Just some bolts on's and 3.73. It easily keeps the car sideways all the way through 2nd gear w/ the BFG's I have on it right now. BTW it's my daily driver in the summer and I drive mostly highway and I have no complaints. Like stated above only california cars in 88 were mass air. All other 88's were speed density (no maf) From what I've heard Speed density cars are quicker stock for stock vs a mass air cars. I can vouch for that since I own both and it does feel quicker. However speed density cars are somewhat limited by what cams you can use and some other stuff like that.

fost9508 said:
It is a 5spd manual.....thought I mentioned that. So it sounds like this is something to leave to the experts, which is what I thought. Can anybody give me a feeling of what the difference between 3.55's and 3.73's would be. Also, I can't remember what gears came stock with the 88.

Super Stanger, thanks for the help. So yeah, the higher the gear the higher your RPMS increase for a given speed...right? I originally thought about upgrading the exhaust but then read that gears may be the way to go. Not that I have given it much thought, but I was looking into a Bassani exhaust system, it is purely a bolt on system.

thanks again

Think of it this way - 3.73/3.55 = 1.05. thats a 5% difference. Lets say w/ 3.55s you go down the highway at 80mph @ 2000rpm. If you had 3.73s your rpm @ 80mph would be 2100. Not a big difference.

They put 2.73s and 3.08s in the 8.8s.

3.73s are only higher than 3.55s numerically. 3.73s are technically a lower gear.

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

If you convert to Mass air, which is a good plan for a modified non-Cali car, 94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

*1.) Pro-M has revised their website lately, but here's what I found for the MAF adapter flange.

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=224 plastic adapter

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=223 metal adapter.

I got a metal one from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was about a year ago.

Powered By Ford
1516 South Division Avenue
Orlando, FL 32805
Hours 0800-1800
Phone 407-843-3673
http://www.poweredbyford.com/

When I first put 3:73's in my 92 I hated em as first gear was almost useless as I had to shift to second before I had even past the stop sign, I have 3:55's in my new 93 & they are a bit tight aswell but love em compared to my stock or 3:73's I had in mine before, if you don't plan on racing it @ the track I would highly recommend the 3:55's for everyday driving :nice:

jrichker,

Thanks for all the information about parts and pieces from other makes and models that would work on the mustang. My only quesiton is how can you figure out what pieces and parts will work with a certain year mustang?

Thanks

fost9508 said:
jrichker,

Thanks for all the information about parts and pieces from other makes and models that would work on the mustang. My only quesiton is how can you figure out what pieces and parts will work with a certain year mustang?

Thanks

you can do all that with your 88. they changed little over the euro years.
also, before you rip your dash apart, your CEL (check engine light) is not broken - SD cars dont have a functioning light.

good luck!

jrichker said:
On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

If you convert to Mass air, which is a good plan for a modified non-Cali car, 94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

*1.) Pro-M has revised their website lately, but here's what I found for the MAF adapter flange.

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=224 plastic adapter

http://performancepartsmall.com/detail.asp?id=223 metal adapter.

I got a metal one from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was about a year ago.