Mods I can do in preparation for a supercharger?

decoy562

Oct 9, 2003
Acworth, GA
Ok, I've got an 03 GT with 6k miles on it. So far, all I have done is just the Magnaflow exhaust, and I put in a K&N filter. Basically, I want to do alot of bolt-ons the next couple of years, until my warranty runs out, and I can supercharge the car. What mods can I do, that I won't have to change when it comes time to supercharge the car? I don't want to spend money on a mod, to have to change it again later. Also, what are the different types of superchargers to look into? I don't have a clue as to what type to get. Any help? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

decoy562 said:
Ok, I've got an 03 GT with 6k miles on it. So far, all I have done is just the Magnaflow exhaust, and I put in a K&N filter. Basically, I want to do alot of bolt-ons the next couple of years, until my warranty runs out, and I can supercharge the car. What mods can I do, that I won't have to change when it comes time to supercharge the car? I don't want to spend money on a mod, to have to change it again later. Also, what are the different types of superchargers to look into? I don't have a clue as to what type to get. Any help? :shrug:

You need to meet up with me sometime soon and you can see first hand what the supercharged set-up looks like. Since you are not getting a SC for a while, I would get gears and a Dr. Gas o/r X to go with your Magnaflow catback. The best investment you could make is suspension. When you get blown eventually it's a whole different ballgame. I'll say it again...suspension...suspension...suspension. You have to get the power to the ground. That's all I would do for now. Save the rest of your money and put it towards the charger. The suspension set-up I like is Metco uppers/lowers, Strange Engineering shocks and struts, and Steeda competition springs. Those mods,bigger tires, and Drag radials and you''ll definitely hook up then ...........

Warranty? What's a warranty? Ford covered me the first time when I got caught in a flood. They replaced it with a "quality" Ford reman engine. Lasted 12,000 miles. Spun 2 rod bearings and I didn't even drive the car hard. They found a way to get around the warranty and give me the big fat shaft. Glad it all happened now because I have what I want, however I'm just telling you that Ford can screw you out of the warranty at any point if they choose to.
Not trying to scare you out of modding your car, because that's where all the fun is. Just giving you a word of experience.

decoy562 said:

First thing you need to do is decide what power level you want to be at. Then you need to budget so the cost won't get away from you (which can happen really fast). The cost for 300 to 400 rwhp is considerably less than 500+ rwhp as an example. Plus knowing your power goals and if the car will be an everyday driver versus mostly track will help you decide on which type of blower to get. The first mod I did (outside of the blower) that gave me the biggest SOTP boost was gears (I went with 3.73's because I knew I was getting a blower). Unless you are going turbo (i.e. different type headers) exhaust mods (x-pipe/h-pipe & short/mid/long tube headers since you have a cat-back) are good to do ahead of time along with suspension mods and better and wider tires. Depending on power levels you will also need to consider upgrading the internals of your engine (forged assembly), transmission, rear end, fuel system and front brakes.

As you can see planning will save you big time in the long run. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess my power level I'm looking at would probably be a base supercharger w/o the intercooler, around 6 psi or so. I drive the mustang around 4 days a week, so it does have to be reliable. I guess around 350 rwhp? :shrug: I'd like to basically make it a reliable, low 12 second everyday driver w/o going too crazy with the money. I'll probably get headers, midpipe, gears, and suspension work. Thanks! :nice: