Modsfor 97 Cobra

Jtrams

Jan 26, 2015
First off I am new to the website. :SN:. I need some help trying to find out which mods are best for my stang. I have an all original 1997 SVT Cobra with only 46K. My budget is about $1,000 and I am trying to get an extra 30-50 horses for right now. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I think you are asking a lot for $1000 to get 30-50 hp. Nitrous would be the only way I think you are going to get that kind of power for the price you are saying.

Start with the basics.
Exhaust/Mid-pipe (offroad if you don't have emissions)
Intake (K&N Drop-in of something like that)
Gears!!!! Don't fear the gear. The power band doesn't start til like 3k on the Cobras, so get a minimum of 4.10s, 4.30s or 4.56 would even be better with the way they rev.

There probably wont be much money if any left there. You wont get your 30-50 hp, but you will get a definite SotP boost, and it will sound better to boot. Next, do some suspension work, get it handling halfway decent, then look for a power adder.

Gears gears gears, especially with the Cobra motor which is notoriously soft on the low end of the tach. The new gear ratio will feel as though you've picked up the 30-50hp. The quicker you get into the power band the quicker the car will feel.