Modular vs. Pushrod

Lyncher

Jun 14, 2005
Maybe its a stupid questions...but what exactly is the difference, I have very good knowledge of pushrods but how is a modular different, I know almost nothing about them! Thanks :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

m0dular m0t0rs have n0 pushr0ds. they have 0verhead cams. n0t sure exactly why they call them m0dular m0t0rs. they als0 have tw0 b0lts that c0me in fr0m the sides int0 the main caps f0r extra strength

Modular means everything is interchangeable....or something like that. Heads can be swapped, pistons can go in any cyl, I am pretty sure 4.6 heads can be bolted onto a 5.4 block...stuff like that. I think.

Ford called it modular having the idea of compete interchangability, that plan got tossed out the window. Theres alot of differences in the mod motors from what I have read. They do look great with a carb on them though. Lots of guys running a holley on the mod motors :D

Fett said:
Exactly what kind of info are you looking for? I am a little confused.

Are you thinking of going modular?

I just want to know the differences in how they work and things like that. Liek the differences between the 2v 3v and 4v and how each affects performances and the advantages of DOHC over a SOHC and things like that. Maybe one of those moving diagrams to just show how it works...:shrug: Thanks for the help guys :flag:

also things like why, for the most part, modular has replaced pushrods (I know there are still motors out there like the ls1/ls2 and such that still kick ass and are pushrods but I mean in general) Thanks again :nice:

Fett said:

GREAT LINK! That really cleared up a lot for me! thanks :nice:

and i found this last thought to be really interesting...talk about a power curve "Several engine manufacturers are experimenting with systems that would allow infinite variability in valve timing. For example, imagine that each valve had a solenoid on it that could open and close the valve using computer control rather than relying on a camshaft. With this type of system, you would get maximum engine performance at every RPM. Something to look forward to in the future... " that would be sick! :nice:

Seriously though....be careful of that site. You will lose a week before you know it.

One night I stayed up for hours seeing how stupid crap worked. Have you ever spent an hour finding out how a lavalamp works? You will.

Fett said:
Seriously though....be careful of that site. You will lose a week before you know it.

One night I stayed up for hours seeing how stupid crap worked. Have you ever spent an hour finding out how a lavalamp works? You will.

lol ...dont get me started :rolleyes: