Mongoosed GT vs STI and GTO

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
I am looking at getting a Mongoose (vortech) for my 99 GT, my car is basically Stock. I have 2 friends that now have a 5.7 GTO (350) HP and a 04 STI (the 320 HP one i think). Will the mongoose kit allow me to keep up with them? I will do additional upgrades later, as i graduate school in one semester. But for now how will i fair against them. I believe the mongoose kit will put me in the low 13's high 12's. and i think the GTO is a mid low 13 second car? and the STI being a little quicker in the high 12's? Anyone want to chime in, which maybe some times for these cars?

• Sponsors (?)

a lot depends on supporting mods, especially tires when it comes to the track. I'd say with exhaust, 3.73s/4.10s, some GOOD street tires or preferably Drag Radials, you can run with them and/or beat them at the track. A lot also depends on the skill of all 3 drivers. Low 13s with a mongoose kit will be easy, and you should be able to break 12s with a little practice.

helty said:
a lot depends on supporting mods, especially tires when it comes to the track. I'd say with exhaust, 3.73s/4.10s, some GOOD street tires or preferably Drag Radials, you can run with them and/or beat them at the track. A lot also depends on the skill of all 3 drivers. Low 13s with a mongoose kit will be easy, and you should be able to break 12s with a little practice.
Totally agree on what Helty said. The GTSlow will not be a problem, since stock Mach's can eat the 04 GTO's. The STi is a different story especially from a dig. Its hard to beat all wheel drive, but if you have good tires, you should smoke him easily.

Mongoose kit should net you LOW 12's with no problem. I should know in about a month how I'll do with it once I get it all hooked up.

Both the GTO and STI are beatable with a N/A GT...the easier being the GTO (unless it's the 6.0 liter '05). I've come across 3 STI's on the street, and of the 3 I've beaten 2, and tied 1 from various speeds.

If you don't pull them you need a driver mod. Really the Mongoose kit should put you in the 12's prolly mid 12's.

As for beating them, I hope so, I drilled a new gto in the 1/8 N/A. StI might be a bigger challenge but unless it's hopped up you should take him out too.

yea you should get 340 to the wheels at least with that kit. that is more then those cars put down. you shouldnt have a problem beating them with a blower.

maybe the sti can launch, but you have the faster more powerful car.

04YELLOWGT said:
What does a stock STI run in the 1/4 with a good driver. I was thinkin someone told me you had to drive the hell out of them to get them in to the 12s and im talkin high 12s
No I've never seen one run 12's stock. I've mostly seen them run between a 13.0 and 13.4. And the 13.0's were driven pretty well.

13.2-13.5 in the 1/4 mile stock with a good driver that knows how to launch it.With a just a few mods an STI will be running 12's in the 1/4 if their is
a good driver behind the wheel.The STI's are underrated in my opnion.
It's a fact that an AWD Subaru will beat a RWD mustang or GTO off the
line.People don't realise that the STI's are quick cars and if an STI has
a turbo upgrade say bye bye. :rlaugh:

Pennywise2 said:
13.2-13.5 in the 1/4 mile stock with a good driver that knows how to launch it.With a just a few mods an STI will be running 12's in the 1/4 if their is
a good driver behind the wheel.The STI's are underrated in my opnion.
It's a fact that an AWD Subaru will beat a RWD mustang or GTO off the
line.People don't realise that the STI's are quick cars and if an STI has
a turbo upgrade say bye bye. :rlaugh:

yea but if they upgrade I will as well...but with twins:uzi:

stock STI is anywhere between low 13's and mid-high 13's. though most rely on the sole purpose its AWD to make up for their lack of launching skills. hell i can launch my stang better than my buddy can launch his 06 wrx.

i think with *Just* the vortech kit, you will either run even or a little faster than those cars. if you do more support mods(fuel, boost, cams, etc) you will get more gains.

both the STi and GTslo can get great gains for cheap as well. the STi loves getting tuned and more boost, and the GTslo shares the same love for bolt ons as the LSwon.

you shouldnt have any trouble with the gto i raced an 06 the other night and i beat him by 1 1/2 cars. i dont know bout the sti cause i never raced one of those yet but i know they can be pretty quick with a couple mods

With the mods in my sig I've been able to keep up with my friends 05 GTO with intake, longtubes, exuast, and tune until around 70mph. After that it's lights out for the Stang but I think I'm a better driver than he is so that may be a factor...

Now that he's added a Magnusom (sp?) supercharger things get ugly much much quicker :nonono:

-J