More 351W in 65' problems

nitequill

Sep 2, 2005
Los Angeles
hey guys it seem like everytime i think im finish something else comes up. im still fighting to get my 74' 351W into my 65 mustang. i had a I6 in the bay and i need to know if i could use the I6 C4 tranny with just changing the bell housing and converter or do i need to get a new C4 as well? another problem im having is the pulleys, i got 79' 351W serpentine pulleys and it bolts up fine, but the crank and cam is not alligned, also would i be about to use these pulleys with a clockwise rotation water pump?

• Sponsors (?)

You probably could use the I6 transmission with V8 bellhousing, but I don't think the I6 transmission would last long. You'll want one that came from behind a V8.

Instead of C4, have you considered swapping in a AOD?

the six cylinder C4 will last alot longer than the 2.77 3sp manual trans, but like bottlefed indicated, it will still die sooner than a V8 tranny in the end. and i agree, have you thought about an AOD?

the six cylinder C4 will last alot longer than the 2.77 3sp manual trans, but like bottlefed indicated, it will still die sooner than a V8 tranny in the end. and i agree, have you thought about an AOD?

I didn't think they used the C4 in the 6cyln 65's. Wasn't it called a "cruise-a-matic" or something like that? Fancy name for C4?

the cruise-o-matic name was used to describe ford 3sp automatic transmissions regardless of design. remember that the ford-o-matic was fords 2spd trans. the mers-o-matic was the mercury auto trans.