More goodies for the motor: Dry Sump Oil Pan

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Space Coast, FL
The Fedex guy dropped it off a little while ago. It's a used NASCAR 351W oil pan. It's set up for dry sump operation (I'm committed now) and is off of one of their road race motors. Since NASCAR only runs two road races a year, this is a somewhat rare pan. This also has built in wrist pin oilers which is something I hadn't planned on running, but now will be.

Here you can see the AN -12 fittings that feed the supply to the oil pump:
oil_pan_bottom_rs.jpg

Here's a view of the wrist pin oilers:
wrist_pin_oilers_rs.jpg

Here's a couple of views of the internal sump plumbing, debris magnets, and whatnot:
oil_pan_top_rs.jpg

oil_pan_internals_rs.jpg

I guess my thought of running dry sump oiling is now an actual plan. I've been picking up AN fittings here and there but this is the first dedicated dry sump part I've picked up. I guess the trunk is going to get a little crowded with the oil reservoir, cooler, and other misc crap.

• Sponsors (?)

GTPhreak said:
looks cool...how many cubes are you gonna run with the 351 block?

4.00" x 4.125" = 427 cid (7.0L). :nice:

yellow1995Cobra said:
different for sure..

Whats the advanatge of a dry sump, for us who dont know anything about it?

A dry sump is basically the ultimate windage tray. Gains of 70-80 hp aren't uncommon at the upper end just because you don't have any parasitic drag from oil on the crank. It also drastically increases your oil reserves (12-14 qts is the average for a V8 dry sump system), drops the oil temps, and increases bearing life. I plan on plumbing in a prelubing system as well so before I even crank the motor, I'll have warm oil already pressurized throughout the system. The experts say that as much as 90% of an engine's wear happens at startup. A prelube system eliminates that. You also increase your options for filtration as you discard the standard filter system for a remote filter.

This is the basic layout of a dry sump setup, in this case, a 4-stage:
dry_sump_diagram.jpg

I plan on installing a pair of oil temp sensors in the mix to monitor the conditions of the oil into and out of the motor. I'll also have a vent tank plumbed in above the reservoir tank. They'll also be a pair of AN -4 lines in there somewhere for the valve cover misters (sprays the rockers) and wrist pin oilers.

Other than the cost, my only gripe is using over a case of oil at each oil change. That's going to get old in a hurry.