more lay offs at work today

• Sponsors (?)

I know how you feel. I was worrying as my company started 'cutting some of the fat'. But those who were let go honestly needed to be. Now, we've been awarded a big project and likely will be hiring soon.

I feel lucky to be in the position that I am. I will likely buy a house before long, hopefully while intrest rates and home values are low, and I'm making good contributions to my 401k. Being that the market is down now and the investment time long, these should maturewell.

If possible, take advantage of the markets down turn by making investments now so you can watch them rise when the economy comes back. :nice:

IIf possible, take advantage of the markets down turn by making investments now so you can watch them rise when the economy comes back. :nice:

Exactly

As soon as the downfall starts to bottom out, i plan on rolling my 401K investments back into aggressive investments and have about $5K to purchase some stocks ive been eyeing. I plan on making some money from this.

I don't think we are at bottom yet. I'm expecting 7000-7500. Then it's buy buy buy

How about this? Our entire site (175+ employees) here got notice in early July that all of our work was being sent to San Antonio and most of our positions were being eliminated. We are given 6 months notice, which was good but also in that same six months we have to transition all our work over to the new site. That may not sound like a big task but the average years of service here is about 8 years, we even have a good 20-30 people here with 20 years of service. Then half way through all of this we are bought out buy another company and had it happened a few months earlier we would more than likely still have our jobs. :D

Bill

my local nissan planet, they close 2 week to save moneys, and they will close every 2 week very often !!! it sad here too, I work for commission and it hurt my wallet, im saving much as I can.
I dont drive the mustang around like I use to,
I dont buy stuff I dont need,
I cook my own food and brought to work,
I walk to the gym,
I dont go out to club like every other weekent.
I grandma shift every gear.

I work for a pastic injection molding company, that my gfs dad owns, he doesnt lay off. We are starting a program called lean manufacturing instead. We still have three shifts and I can work any hours I want:) Only part-time now tho cause in school for engineering and will work for the same company as engineer hopefully makin more money :) when im done in year and half.

I work for a pastic injection molding company, that my gfs dad owns, he doesnt lay off. We are starting a program called lean manufacturing instead. We still have three shifts and I can work any hours I want:) Only part-time now tho cause in school for engineering and will work for the same company as engineer hopefully makin more money :) when im done in year and half.

Dont broke up with with girl, or else you will lay off :D

LEAN manufacturing is good stuff. My company has been doing it for a few years now.

Yes recreational boating. I work for Jeppesen Marine and we produce electronic chart chips that are used in chart plotters. When fuel was sky high this Summer a lot of boaters simply were not out on the water as much. Also major layoffs at a number of boat manufactures as new boat sales for middle class America tanked. Boston Whaler shut down for a month, Brunswick cut way back, and it still are. Tough times in the recreational boating market.

Will be out on the road for about 60 days in the next couple of months exhibiting at a number of boat shows and distributor shows. Heading to the Annapolis Power Boat Show next week to man our exhibit. Once Spring hits I will get yanked back into the office to help on the phones instead of working at home like I do now due to the recent staff reductions at my office.

Yes recreational boating. I work for Jeppesen Marine and we produce electronic chart chips that are used in chart plotters. When fuel was sky high this Summer a lot of boaters simply were not out on the water as much. Also major layoffs at a number of boat manufactures as new boat sales for middle class America tanked. Boston Whaler shut down for a month, Brunswick cut way back, and it still are. Tough times in the recreational boating market.

Will be out on the road for about 60 days in the next couple of months exhibiting at a number of boat shows and distributor shows. Heading to the Annapolis Power Boat Show next week to man our exhibit. Once Spring hits I will get yanked back into the office to help on the phones instead of working at home like I do now due to the recent staff reductions at my office.

Cool the electronic charts are the ****!

How about this? Our entire site (175+ employees) here got notice in early July that all of our work was being sent to San Antonio and most of our positions were being eliminated. We are given 6 months notice, which was good but also in that same six months we have to transition all our work over to the new site. That may not sound like a big task but the average years of service here is about 8 years, we even have a good 20-30 people here with 20 years of service. Then half way through all of this we are bought out buy another company and had it happened a few months earlier we would more than likely still have our jobs. :D

Bill

I'm in San Antonio, who do you work for?