most command thing to make a 5.0 surge?

89RedFoxGT

Nov 2, 2006
jackson, TN
most common thing to make a 5.0 surge?

I got a 1990 mustang 5.0 with B cam headers exhaust and cai... Whats the most common thing that makes one surge? It's just about stoped the surging... dose it a little every now and then when it warms up.. and can someone explain to me about timing? from what I understand the #1 has to be up and the rotor button at 12oclock or i heard you could go to 11 for more adjustment, but how do i know my total timing, how much its advanced or retarted? No ones ever told me so I dont have a clue... thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

command = common? :shrug:

One of my professors use to have a saying. Misspellings weren't in and of themselves unforgivable unless they hampered the readers understanding of what the writer was trying to say.

To check your timing you need a timing light.

On a 5.0L mustang, you need to remove the spout plug connector to check your initial timing. Reinstall the spout plug after you have checked/set initial timing.

Your timing will always be advanced a certain amount from zero degrees. It will never be retarded, but you can "retard" your timing from a specific advance setting. For example, if initial timing is 10 degrees advanced, and you retard it 4 degrees, it is still 6 degrees advanced.

Standard timing lights will only be able to tell you initial advance, more expensive timing lights will have a dial you can turn to check your total advance. Bring the motor speed up until you've reached your total advance, and turn the dial until your timing mark comes back to the pointer. Take that number, and add it to your initial, and you have your total. For example, if you check/set your initial timing at ten degrees, and then when checking your total advance you need to turn the dial 24 degrees to bring the timing mark back to the pointer, than your total advance is 10 + 24 = 34 degrees.