motor mounts?

• Sponsors (?)

If you just want rubber ones, you can't go wrong with Ford -- I've never tried the standard auto parts stores one, but they're probably not bad either. For Poly you can go with Energy Suspension or Prothane, both will be fine. For solids there are a bunch of different companies.

I bought the Prothane ones from 50resto.com. These things are awesome!

Tim

motormounts.JPG

Alright...newbie type question here...what do the poly and solid motor mounts do compared to the stock ones...

Also I have heard of people putting vert motor mounts on their coupes...what is the reasoning behind this?...smoother?...

Ok... stock mounts have rubber to dampin the vibartions. Prothane uses urethan as the bushings and it is stiffer and lasts a hell of a lot longer than rubber. Solid Motor Mounts are just that... they are solid metal. They have great response but the trade off is more vibrations.

I hope this helps.

Also the vert mounts are made differently than standard coupe or hatch mounts. The poly mounts use the design of the vert mounts. If you go to say advance auto parts web site or another of the major parts store's sites they should have pictures of the parts and you will see how different the vert mounts are from the others. I personally have the energy suspension mounts and they work great.

im with MI2fast. i have the same ones (vert mounts from AZ) and they are fine. as i recall, the vert mounts are interlocked, whereas older hardtop mounts can separate (that is what i read; i have never seen the latter).

Ford recognized that the vert mounts were better, so by 93 (maybe earlier), the vert mounts came on all stangs. if you go with AZ mounts, either ask for vert mounts, or ask for mounts for a 93 of any flavor.....same part number.

another benefit of urethane (if not mentioned): urethane resists oil and such more than rubber. but mine were about 1/3 the cost of urethane (two motor and one trans mount for under 50 bucks, IIRC), so i could not justify urethane.

good luck.

So what exactly does the vert mounts have over the coupe mounts...

So people pay for these solid and poly, urethane mounts because they last longer...?...

Will vert mounts be smoother than the coupe?

I don't know if you would feel any difference between the regualr vert and regualr coupe mounts, but the poly mounts are definently a bit stiffer and you feel the engine more. Hissin50 is right about the standard coupe/hatch mounts being able to completely seperate. When I had to change my factory mounts on my hatch the passenger side came off in two pieces, and that is runninga stock engine :notnice: . The vert mounts are interlocked so even if the rubber comes completely apart the metal will hold the engine in place. I went with the energy suspension mounts just beacuse I had the extra cash at the time to get them, and I figured I wouldn't ever have to worry about changing them again. I am sure I would have been fine with vert mounts.

The Shape - right on.
i am of the same mind as TS - i would have gotten urethane, except that i drive like a granny, and did not have the cash to spend on the urethane. but the urethane is really nice - if you have the means, you cant go wrong with it. just a budget choice for some of us. :D
urethane will transmit more of the engine "feel" - the amount seems to depend on mods and how sensitive your rump is. the motor should flex less, and i would think that urethane would be the last set of mounts you need to replace.....
i can think of no reason not to use vert mounts in the very least....
good luck.