motor problem

yeah if anything i was looking for the 87 tc la ecu.. i hear its the best. any one say why its the best/if thats not true? im looking for one for maybe like $50, that seemed to be the average going price when i was looking for them

• Sponsors (?)

turboford.org and yeah just look around for people parting 2.3T cars, someone is bound to have one. although i dont think that you problem is computer related as the computer doesnt control the throttle.

victor

zoomin said:
turboford.org and yeah just look around for people parting 2.3T cars, someone is bound to have one. although i dont think that you problem is computer related as the computer doesnt control the throttle.

victor

yeah thats what i thought, and even if it was, the car is at IDLE not in
boost, the car hasnt even seen boost yet. we are leaning towards some kind of leak with a couple things turbo side now, at least we have it troubleshot down to a single area... ah the fun of a project car :bang:

so i retract part of my initial statement, the revs go up to about 3-4k... sounds more like a vacuum leak at that point shouldnt it? also what is the little box in the front passenger side of the engine bay, towards the nose of the car that has what appears to be a vacuum line hooked up to it?

Have you tried unplugging the MAF to see if anything changes?

I'm wondering if even the little bit the compressor is spinning at idle is enough to drive the stock MAF crazy. Most of the folks I've seen that are using a MAF run one larger than the stock 2.3 MAF and they all needed to feed a new transfer table to the ECU for the bigger MAF.

havent really tried it, thought about i think, but not sure if ive tried it myself. gonna go up to the car tomorrow and try that, as well as unhook the wastegate so that the turbo has very little to do with air flow... as well as check absolutely everything on the turbo side for vac leaks.. i know its not behind the turbo (exhaust) because that would just make noise rather than make a vacuum leak.. so it really narrows the area down. all this is especially narrowed down since i took out the intercooler charge pipes.. i know we are close but its just a matter of finding that one small thing.

theoretical question here, is it possible to run my car with out the maf? dunno much about how they work and what not as im getting into the finer details, but the car should run without it hooked up correct?

ok so we solved it. the bracket that holds the 2 thottle cables on was bent way out of whack (dunno how, not asking either) but long story short we got the car to run beautifully. was a matter of getting the bracket back into shape and then adjusting my idle back down and car is sitting great at about 1200rpm idle, which is not bad for it having been so horribly messed up.. more to follow soon.

Cool. Definitely one of those things where you had to be there looking at it to see something like that. That's the only bad thing about internet troubleshooting.

Glad you got it running. Now I'm curious to see how it runs on the stock ECU and MAF under boost. Keep us posted.