Motor Trend Boss 302 LS vs. Camaro ZL1

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
I haven't seen any threads posted on Stangnet yet, but if you haven't seen this yet:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ord_mustang_boss_302_laguna_seca/viewall.html

Spoiler alert: the Boss 302 loses (if you saw the cover of the print edition, it clearly states this anyways).

Some thoughts though:

1. The Boss 302 actually pulled slightly higher Gs than the ZL1 (1.01 to 1.0). However, 0.01G is probably negligible and it's probably safer to say they are equal in handling. With that in mind, I think the Camaro basically out-powered the Mustang through the course rather than out-handled. Remember that 2 seconds is a very long time on the track, drag strip or road course.

2. Surprisingly, despite its HP deficit the Mustang isn't too far behind in straight line performance. This is an area I thought the Mustang would get slaughtered in, but 0-60 it is only .2 of a second slower than the Camaro and 3 tenths slower in the 1/4 mile.

3. I question how the new '13 GT500 will fare against the ZL1 especially in terms of handling. I'm not too concerned about the GT500 being able to get the power down to the pavement especially with the new launch control feature but the thing is at the moment, the Boss 302 is the handling leader in the Mustang stable, with the current GT500 lagging behind it. I'm not sure if +100 HP would be enough to just simply over-power the Camaro on the road course, the Lamborghini Gallardo is apparently faster than the Murcielago for example just on the basis of being a better handling car despite having close to 100 less HP.

4. For all intents and purposes, I think most reasonable people will realize that the Boss 302 and ZL1 aren't exactly the same class of vehicles, so the Mustang's defeat for many would have been a by gone conclusion. The ZL1 has 136 more HP and costs $7895 more, so ditto.

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't seen any threads posted on Stangnet yet, but if you haven't seen this yet:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ord_mustang_boss_302_laguna_seca/viewall.html

Spoiler alert: the Boss 302 loses (if you saw the cover of the print edition, it clearly states this anyways).

Some thoughts though:

1. The Boss 302 actually pulled slightly higher Gs than the ZL1 (1.01 to 1.0). However, 0.01G is probably negligible and it's probably safer to say they are equal in handling. With that in mind, I think the Camaro basically out-powered the Mustang through the course rather than out-handled. Remember that 2 seconds is a very long time on the track, drag strip or road course.

2. Surprisingly, despite its HP deficit the Mustang isn't too far behind in straight line performance. This is an area I thought the Mustang would get slaughtered in, but 0-60 it is only .2 of a second slower than the Camaro and 3 tenths slower in the 1/4 mile.

3. I question how the new '13 GT500 will fare against the ZL1 especially in terms of handling. I'm not too concerned about the GT500 being able to get the power down to the pavement especially with the new launch control feature but the thing is at the moment, the Boss 302 is the handling leader in the Mustang stable, with the current GT500 lagging behind it. I'm not sure if +100 HP would be enough to just simply over-power the Camaro on the road course, the Lamborghini Gallardo is apparently faster than the Murcielago for example just on the basis of being a better handling car despite having close to 100 less HP.

4. For all intents and purposes, I think most reasonable people will realize that the Boss 302 and ZL1 aren't exactly the same class of vehicles, so the Mustang's defeat for many would have been a by gone conclusion. The ZL1 has 136 more HP and costs $7895 more, so ditto.

The 2012 GT500 pulls a 1.01 on the skidpad also. It will beat the ZL1, but not by as much as people expect.

*yawn* let's see a real comparison between the top of the line Mustang and the top of the line Camaro.... 2013 GT500 should own that car.

Reactions: 1 user
It's apples to oranges. The comparison should be GT->Z28 (whenever it finally makes an appearance), Boss->SS and GT500->ZL1. The Mustang wins every one of those scenarios, so they have to use a lower model to win the comparison. For now, it's the GT and Boss vs. the SS (it wins with both) and the GT500 handling the ZL1.

I'm not brand loyal, but I've not been overly impressed with most GM products I've owned over the years, including my old Vette. When I was a kid, the early Mustangs did not garner much interest from me, but I thought the '68 Camaro was fantastic. And I really loved the new Camaro styling ... that is until I saw one in person. Pony car? Nah! It's an elephant! The styling is nice, but the thing is just too large overall.

All in all, which car one likes is nothing but personal opinion. Reminds me of the Harley vs. Jap-bike debate. I've had both, and I have a preference. On the other hand, I know a few guys who own both.

Bottom line? I really don't care what the article said. I'm not out to impress anyone but myself.

I like the new ZL1 and the new Boss but I'm getting sick and tired of all of the Mustang fans bashing the performance of the Camaro and using a car that's still on the drawing board to do it. Next year, we will all see which car will out perform the other when Ford puts the new GT on the road. My crystal ball says that it will be a hell of a show!

I like the new ZL1 and the new Boss but I'm getting sick and tired of all of the Mustang fans bashing the performance of the Camaro and using a car that's still on the drawing board to do it. Next year, we will all see which car will out perform the other when Ford puts the new GT on the road. My crystal ball says that it will be a hell of a show!

Don't go to a Mustang fan site. :shrug:

Um lol it's not on the drawing board it's moving into production in q4 and it will have the numbers ford says it will so in my opinion since there will be no change in the camaro next year it's a fair comparison but all arguments aside.... You are on a mustang fan site what did you expect

I'm a Mustang guy but I like the work Chevy did on the ZL1 with the suspension, balance, brakes, and that old pushrod 2 valve V8. It's like they are in the 20th century and the 22nd century at the same time. They raise the bar then our guys raise the bar. Good old American competition. Now if it was us against the Japs, well thats another story that I won't get into here.

I'm a Mustang guy but I like the work Chevy did on the ZL1 with the suspension, balance, brakes, and that old pushrod 2 valve V8. It's like they are in the 20th century and the 22nd century at the same time. They raise the bar then our guys raise the bar. Good old American competition.

Well said! That Camaro is truly impressive (and it should be for $54k+). Nice to see Chevy really putting some thought and effort into making the Camaro an excellent, all-around performer. Hopefully the 2013 GT500 will live up to its expectations! That will be a battle!

54K? Holy crap batman! Add 14k of goodies to a Boss and it'd do better too! Like asimms33 comment...it's made by gm :rlaugh: I do agree they did a nice job with the new camaros...it's just that they're gm cars. Ditto...it's a mustang fan site, whattaya xpect??? :flag:

I'm just curious how well that ZL1 would do after about 20-30 laps. My guess is the Boss will be far more consistent, but then again 2 seconds is a hell of a lot of ground to make up, and the magazine seems to believe that the Camaro outhandles the Boss, too.

God bless the never-ending pony-car wars!

the article states that the camero soaks up the bumps better because of the IRS and the magnetic shocks. The camero's shocks are impressive, but I also thinks the mustang might have done better if they had adjusted the shock from setting 5 to setting 4(or even 3), since it sounded like a bumpy track. they set the mustang to full stiff, then complained about it being too stiff.... duh? Yes you have to manually adjust it (unlike the camero's) but it only take screwdriver and minute to do so.
it might have been enough to allow the mustang to go over the curbs (which the camero was doing), which would probably be the fastest line around the track.

GM has some awesome cars. The Z06, ZR1, CTS-V and now the ZL are great cars. I expect the 2013 Shelby to have some real advantages over the Camaro in many areas. Ultimately I'm glad an American company is making awesome cars. Competition will make the breed better, it always does.

I'll just enjoy the hell out of my 2011 Kona Blue beast and if the new 55k+ Camaro is a better car, I can live with it.

It's pretty awesome what they did for $55K if you read all the standard equipment and optional upgrades. The 2013 GT500 will probably come in around $60K. That magnetic ride suspension adjusts at a frequency of 1000 times per second. The new GT500 will have electric adjustable Bilstein dampers but it doesn't adjust automatically and it only adjusts between 2 settings. I was thinking that Chevy was only trying to build a drag racer with the ZL-1 to take down the GT500 but they also made a pretty good track car. The Boss LS tracks well with some of the best cars in the world but watch out for the ZL-1. I only hope the new GT500 will smack that LZ-1 good.