motorcraft oil filter...FL-1A ok?

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
I've read from some sources that say motorcraft fl-1a is what we should use on our mustangs instead of the 820-s. I took them out of the boxes at walmart and they looked to be identical thickness but the 1a is just much longer (more filtering ability?). I just want to make sure that its ok to use the longer filter because it isn't listed as the filter for our mustangs.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

Aite ill drop by wallie and buy the other filter instead.

I just know that motorcraft has a good oil filter system if you change with synthetics within about 7500 its much cheaper than spending 10 bucks on a mobil 1 filter. or 15 on an amsoil filter just for a little more longevity.

I was also wondering wouldn't it be legit to maybe just change the filter after 7500 and run the oil 15000 or more? You would probably have to add a half to one quart of oil with the filter removal but that would be even more cost affective.

kirkyg

ya the 820s and the 1a have different threads. i tried throwing one on and it wouldnt thread on. the size of the 820 is more than adaquate for the filtering needs of the motor.
as for OCIs(oil change intervals), there is varying arguements on the correct interval. personally i go by time, i do it about every 3 months, i use mobil 1 5w30 with a motorcraft fl820s filter. on the average its about 5000 miles between changes. i know pwoplw that go 10,000 miles on an oil change and there are some that go 30,000 miles on an oil change with regular filter changes.