Moving Oil Filler Neck on Aftermarket VC's

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
So i had this brilliant idea tonight when I was trying to solve my valve cover problem. Can I buy a set of aftermarket Ford Racing valve covers and switch the passenger side with the drivers side so that way the oil filler neck is on the back of the drivers side VC? I know I might have to modify it a bit to get it to clear the intake, but couldn't this be done? Or is this just another crazy idea of mine.

• Sponsors (?)

lager94GT said:
What's your valve cover problem? I use 92 fox vcs. I had a welding shop cut, bend then reweld the oil fill to bend towards the front of the car. Works great.

My problem is that I want to use a set of the EFI valve covers out of the Ford Racing catalog (M-6000-J302R), but the oil filler neck is too far in. I know that a lot of guys use fox VC's with no problem.

All depends on how much the GT40 o/hangs the DS VC??? i tryed that with my Explorer intake...no dice...just plain no room...i had like 1" and the bottom of the intake was there...no way a cover would fit in...

if you have some clearance under the upper, you could cut the oilfill on a 45 degree angle, cut about 1" up or so off the cover, then have it welded, so it angles out from under it...really depends on how much height/ over hang you have???

Good luck....This is one of the main reasons i swapped to a Fox TB set-up...VCs and freakin fuel line wouldn't go under the TB/tall VCs i have once i swapped intake....These cars are a P.I.T.A. just to get some decent covers on em....never mind you can hardly see the freakin things once there on???? Oh Well....

red94fiveo said:
So i had this brilliant idea tonight when I was trying to solve my valve cover problem. Can I buy a set of aftermarket Ford Racing valve covers and switch the passenger side with the drivers side so that way the oil filler neck is on the back of the drivers side VC? I know I might have to modify it a bit to get it to clear the intake, but couldn't this be done? Or is this just another crazy idea of mine.

I had the same problem you are.. But i didnt notice the issue until after i bought the VC's.

I switched the vcs from side to side like you said. I then cut the oil fill neck down even with the vc. Bought a rubber plug, stuck it in there.. Then drilled a new hole in the other vc (now on the pass side) and installed a breather. On the drivers side, the upper intake manifold will cover the spot where the rubber plug is, so you wont really notice it - especially if you have a long runner intake.

If i did it again, i would save the money and just buy the VC's for a carbed 302, just make sure they arent too tall. (the carbed ones are only like 90 or 100)

yellow1995Cobra said:
If i did it again, i would save the money and just buy the VC's for a carbed 302, just make sure they arent too tall. (the carbed ones are only like 90 or 100)

Actually, I did buy a set of carbed valve covers about a year ago b/c I liked the way they looked so much (Black ones with Ford Racing in Red) unfortunately they are way too tall, I'd have to run like an 1 1/2" spacer if I measured right.

zenboy99, I paid $30. It only took approx. 15 minutes to do. That was the welding shop minimum charge. I'm in NY so labor is pricey. At my request, the welder did tack on a horizontal metal bar across the base of the oil fill spout (on the inside) to sort of act as an oil demister, i.e., reduce oil slinging up the spout since the baffle was removed to clear the rockers.

Mark, I presume that you could also modify the oil spout on the Ford Racing valve covers to clear whether on the passenger or driver's side although it's a shame to have to modify a nice new set of covers. I doubt it will clear on the driver's side without modification. I know it wouldn't clear under my cobra upper with 3/8" spacer.