Moving to Boston, Can i use my GT year round?

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
My bro is moving from San Antonio,Tx to Boston, MA this summer. His only car is his 04 GT w/5spd. He was trying to decide whether to trade it in for an AWD car like a STI. But would rather not spend the cash if he could make it thru winters in Boston with a RWD car. For those that live out there on the East Coast near boston, Does it snow a crap ton or can he get away with it being his daily driver year round?

• Sponsors (?)

i live just outside of boson.

ive made it through 4 winters with a stang, but its not the easiest, and can be nerve-racking. in New England, it can snow starting in October, and it has snowed out in May. its too sporadic to say how much or how often it snows here in the winter, but id say frequently.

i traded my last stang in for a 4x4 hemi. that was a blast for winters, but i got bored with it after a few years. picked up another stang towards the end of this past winter.

it hardly snowed out this winter until january, when i traded in the truck. then it snowed out a few times. my stang was a 3500lb paperweight that never left its parking spot this year on days it snowed out.

it can be done, if the snowfall is slight, but it can get scary. especially when we can get a snowfall of 6+ inches that doesnt seem to leave for weeks.

next winter i am most definitely buying a beater 4x4 truck.

best bet in New England is to get some kind of "beater" I bought a 97 f150 for three thousand like 2 years ago and it is the best money i have spent on my stang yet(until i get a blower god willing)

My car is stored from Thanksgiving to mid March. We can get a lot of snow (and salt that goes along with it).
Best to have something else, otherwise you'll need snow tires and your car will get all rusty and it still wont be a good winter car.

honestly... A good set of snow tires will make a world of difference.
I had a '78 Monte Carlo (350ci) and an '86 Olds 442 that were great winter cars... with snow tires. My stang stays in the garage now and only sees dry roads.

I live in Cali so I cant speak from experience, but I wouldnt want to subject my Stang to that kind of abuse, nor would I want to do that to an STI neither. It will get all rusty underneath.Like the others said your brother should find some 4x4 or fwd beater for a couple of thousand. If he can afford an 04 GT, he cn afford to by a beater.

I live in RI and go to school in Boston, and I've made it through a couple winters with RWD (Grand Marquis, didn't have the mustang yet). If he has a good set of winter tires like Blizzaks, puts a little weight in the trunk, has AAA just in case, and is ready to do a little more work like shoveling sometimes, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. But yeah, +1 on getting a beater truck if he can afford it.

I drove mine through a few winters but i wouldn't drive it through more then 3-4 inches and as soon as the salt trucks were out i parked the Mustang...tell him to pick up a beater Pickup or Mini Van for $1000 and just drive that in the bad months...He can swap the insurance back and forth.

One of my friends had a bad accident on the highway on an inch of snow. It span out on him, and he went under an 18 wheeler. I couldn't believe he wasn't too seriously injured. Car was destroyed. I have pics somewhere...:(

Winter Mustangs up here can definitely be a little scary. You have to have good snow tires and be willing to get alternate transportation on the bad days. A snow-tired Stang will get you around on normal days, but it won't get you home in a blizzard.
I've done the snow tire route and this year got a winter beater. A snow stang works OK, but a winter beater is a much better way to go.
SnowPony_400.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys. I sent him a link to this thread, and he has decided to put the stang in storage near my house in Texas and get a beater. He is only up in Boston for 1 yr for school and will move back. I figure i can drive it once a month and keep it running/lubed up for him while its in storage.

Like people have said all you need is a good set of appropriate tires. You wouldnt drive your car with a set of slicks on the highway during a rain storm (i hope), and you shouldnt drive a mustang in the winter with high performance summer tires (which come stock on our cars).