Mph

DBMSTNG said:
Tim will tune it safe. it's unsafe if it's running too much timing or too lean. ofcoarse there is a limit to the amount of power you can run too.

Just curious, what gives you that confidence? If you had they money and were in my position with 60k miles.. would you go for it too?

Like I said in a previous post, I plant to move up later down the road... just initially I want to get it in there with a safe tune and run around 400 to the wheels or so.

It seems reasonable to think on stock internals.. a safe tune can get me there.. ya? :)

• Sponsors (?)

i know a couple of guys running around on stock internals with over 400rwhp. They have safe tunes to get the most out of the stock block until they save the money for forged shortblock. The turbo will make that power with less boost. And Tim at MPH is one of the best in the buisness. You should be fine with a Tune by Tim as long as you realize you are on borrowed time and not beat the crap out of the car.

When you are ready for that kit, Modular Powerhouse is the place to go. Andy can do the install for you and Tim will tune it. He will give you a safe tune somewhere around 400 rwhp on your stock engine. Later, when you are ready for a forged shortblock, MPH can fix you up and turn up the wick on your twin turbos. Of course, at that point, you are going to need some substantial suspension, tranny, and rear-end mods to safely get the power to the ground. If you really get crazy with power, you'll need a return fuel system too. But, for now, all you need is the twin turbo kit and a tune from Tim.

WillDuhhBeast said:
Some people say it safe to run it at 450 rwhp and ill be fine. Some people don't agree.

how much does it cost to forge internals? Id honestly like to get that done..

A forged shortblock from DSS racing is $2000. MPH and VT engines also have very strong and well priced forged shortblocks.

Yeah some people say it's safe while other think it's not. My question to those who believe it to be completely safe is why did the factory 03-04 cobras come with forged internals? Because no one gets 400hp to the wheels to drive it easy, and your stock guts are old by 60k+ miles. Truth is you're gonna pound on this sucker the way it ought to be pounded on for the money you're spending on the TT, so might as well forge it. Yes Tim and MPH can get you a great tune that is safe, but bullet resistant vests are supposed to stop some bullets, and sometimes they don't stop the ones they were meant to stop. Again my 2 cents.

I agree boom.

Human instinct is going to tell me to push it when I get it.. But I'll know that I am on as the one guy say "borrowed time".

It would take me forever and a day to buy the forged block and install it then save for the TT. I'd rather spend the money on the tt, tune and install, then save for the forged block... knowing I cant go crazy. I don't plan on going to the 700 HP range, just a nice lil boost.. and yeah, maybe this isnt the most cost effective way to get 500-550.. but its the sexiest by far :p

02LaserRed2V said:
Those Tim has tuned has never blown a motor. And he's tuned MANY.

Is that a fact? I mean, I know he's one of the most well respected tuners, but is it true that a car he's tuned has "never" blown a motor? If that's true, it's pretty impressive!

Ghostface said:
Is that a fact? I mean, I know he's one of the most well respected tuners, but is it true that a car he's tuned has "never" blown a motor? If that's true, it's pretty impressive!
Absolutely true. After switching to MPH almost a year ago, I will never let anyone else touch my car. Not only can Tim make power, he is a freaking perfectionist when it comes to "streetability." I just dropped my car at MPH today because Tim wants to improve on the street tune. I'm not sure why. I thought it was running fine, but he was not satisfied with it. Maybe he has a big race this week. :lol: :lol:

it is going to be hit or miss, some engines do fine while others will not last, my engine on a "safe" tune by a reputable tuner blew on my first 1/4 mile run, probably bad gas, so you never know. You gotta pay to play, even if your engine lasts you could blow your rear or tranny...

I don't agree it's "hit or miss." If you have a good engine builder and tuner it should be a rare event that you would blow an engine. And the rest of your setup should be built to withstand what the motor delivers.

o3redfire said:
it is going to be hit or miss, some engines do fine while others will not last, my engine on a "safe" tune by a reputable tuner blew on my first 1/4 mile run, probably bad gas, so you never know. You gotta pay to play, even if your engine lasts you could blow your rear or tranny...

You ran 10 PSI. Bad idea. :nono:

jimfitzgerald said:
I don't agree it's "hit or miss." If you have a good engine builder and tuner it should be a rare event that you would blow an engine. And the rest of your setup should be built to withstand what the motor delivers.
I am by no means an expert on this , Jim. I am just repeating what one of the guys at MPH told me, but it was in reference to a blown application, not turbo, so it might not apply.
laserred, I knew I was pushing the envelope with the 10 lb's, and really wanted a reason to build the bottom end, OK, my wife would not understand why I needed to rebuild a perfectly "good" engine, so it had to break !

o3redfire said:
I am by no means an expert on this , Jim. I am just repeating what one of the guys at MPH told me, but it was in reference to a blown application, not turbo, so it might not apply.
laserred, I knew I was pushing the envelope with the 10 lb's, and really wanted a reason to build the bottom end, OK, my wife would not understand why I needed to rebuild a perfectly "good" engine, so it had to break !
I'm talking about any application. The odds should be a lot better than "hit or miss" if you have a good engine builder and tuner. Obviously, there are the rare events that can happen, but with a good build and good tune, you should not have to worry about blowing your engine unless you over-rev it or something such as that.