Mr. Clean Carwash System

05Stangster

Mar 31, 2005
Austin, Texas
Purchased and love not having to dry the car. However, concerned that the detergent is stripping the wax off. Washed a couple of times and got caught in the rain yesterday. No water beading on the hood at all. I have 5 coats of Meguires on her and am thinking the soap that comes with the Mr Clean system may be too harsh. What do you folks think?

• Sponsors (?)

if you read the manual, it will tell you. I had the one they sold last year, and loved it so much I had to buy the new one. I can't even see a difference when I wax our cars, because the polymer soap that Mr Clean uses is so good. But anyways, yes, the polymer does shorten the life of waxes. Like I said, I stopped waxing my cars after using the Mr. Clean Autodry system, and you can't tell the difference.
examples:
2052289_9_full.jpg

iskwezm said:
recent discoveries have shown that water beading is not what you want,you want the water to sheet off,the beading thing has been found to damage and spot paint.I've used the sprayer for a few years and love it.
yup, this is true as well. that's another reason I've stopped waxing. thanx for the comments '05 :nice:

You bet!

Red Pony said:
Does anyone know if this system works well wtih hard water?

The water where I live is incredibly hard and the filter system does a great job. A filter is supposed to be good for ~ 10 washes but I change it after 8 because it's pretty beat by then due to the high mineral content of the local water.

I still put Zaino on my pony and the water sheets off her nicely. I use an electric airblower to dry her and blow the water out of the various cracks and crevices. Bottom line, it takes a lot less time to wash my car and it looks better than ever!

yeah, that's exactly what the pur filter does, is take out minerals and other additives from the water, that keep it potable, but cause spotting and attract dirt/dust. Personally I think this system is a must for anyone who has a place to wash their car at home.

I've never used it yet on my Camaro, but I use it all the time on my motorcycle and Chevy Colorado pickup. It works great on them.

I thought this thing would be a gimmick, but it actually does work pretty well. Costco had a good deal on the main system and the refill kits a while back, so if you have a Costco membership you might check them out..

While it works fine, it certainly doesn't save me any time. Matter of fact, it takes longer for me to rinse off my car using the unit's ultra-fine, filtered, mist than it would take to just rise it off with the hose and dry it by hand.

Is there any source material to show that waxing is bad for the car? Water is only one problem that causes paint to go bad over time. I was under the impression that "waxing" a car (using synthetic for protection and traditional wax for shine) protects against elements other than water, such as UV light. UV light causes most fade, so if you don't have a good barrier against it, the paint will start to fade much more quickly. Or, more accruately, the clear coat will break down, which will then cause the paint to fade over time. You may not have water spots, but the shine won't last very long.

I had thought it best to dry the car by hand after each wash to prevent water spots. I don't have much of a problem from rain...just washing.

I'm not stating any of this as fact. I just want to know what the best course of action is in keeping the paint job up to snuff for as long as possible.

There are waxes that will make water "sheet" off your car rather than bead up.
McGuiar's, for example, is actually absorbed by the paint. Kind of feeds it. And the water runs off rather than beading. I swear by Mcguairs. (I think I spelled it wrong.)

05Stangster said:
Thanks, that is what I was trying to say. If it takes the wax off, the paint would be vulnerable. Good question for "Mr Clean".
Who said it takes the wax off?I would think they wouldnt sell a product that does damage.If your refering to the streaking,the car isnt being rinsed properly.What ever water you leave without the fin rinse will spot.It does take a while to completely get all the hard water off the car,but there should be zero hand drying.