MRT Catted H and Catback installed

apk1971

Jul 28, 2003
Upstate NY
MRT Catted H and Catback installed - **PICS ADDED**

Well, finally, finally installed my MRT Catted H and Catback.

I have to say - it sounds awesome and looks great at the tailpipes from behind with the rolled tips.

What I cannot understand is the fitment of these things. These pipes are supposedly made for the car, yet they do not fit easily into place with comfortible clearance. I know I am not a moron and as I had them installed by a mechanic. I was there turning the wrenches too so I know what a pain it was.

The passenger side went in easiest - and lined up straight. The tailpipe route is a bit close to the rear suspension control arms. The driver side was another story. We worked for a while and could not get the muffler or tailpipe lined up straight. The only clearance issue is the gap between the tailpipe and the front corner of the gas tank. They could have designed this pipe with a bit more clearance.

All in all - It is in and tight. No leaks, no rattles. And it sounds great. Did I get more power? The car moves alot easier. If you are looking for a muscle car sound - this is the set-up.

Sorry - no pics... I will work on that!

Cheers

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. We need definitely pics. I never saw a close-up picture of those rolled tips.

Actually I ordered a catted MRT h-pipe and FRPP mufflers.

BTW I would like to buy the drive shaft you got. Is it prebalanced, was the installation easy, how much did you pay?

iStang said:
Yes. We need definitely pics. I never saw a close-up picture of those rolled tips.

BTW I would like to buy the drive shaft you got. Is it prebalanced, was the installation easy, how much did you pay?

This is thge setup i am running, MRT-H catted and FRPP cat-back and sounds mean on the gas and mellow when cruisin with zero drone. I had some fitment issues the exhaust guy and to make some adjustments where the catback bolts up the the H-pipe...Had to weld on new ends.. But well worth it.. Nice to sound different.

My MRT catted H and Steeda CB combo sounds perfect too. Even with the factory catback the MRT mid sounded good. The addition of free flow mufflers really brought out that great H pipe sound.

iStang said:

I will work on pics... I can do the tips easily this evening. It is the underneath that will be a bit difficult. I should have done it when it was in the air.

The driveshaft is the FRPP Alum DS (not sure the exact part number - box is home). I bought it second hand from someone who sold their car before installing it. It is pre-balanced and a piece of cake to install since I had the exhast down and had plenty of room to work with. It should still be pretty easy. 4 bolds on the rear diff and slide out the shaft from the tranny. I paid $215 shipped. They used to go for about $225-230.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

iStang said:
I just cancelled my driveshaft order (M-4602-J) because according to Summitracing it doesn't fit the Tremec-3650 :shrug: . But your ride is an '03 too :shrug:

I just responded to your other thread - I did install the FMS-M-4602-J. Fits like a glove. No issues. :nice:

Also, I looked through my invoices... I actually paid $215 for it - shipped. Not sure what I was thinking that I paid $100 for... :shrug:

Here are 2 pictures:

The rear view (this picture does the look no justice):

646957_70_full.jpg

The Tips:

646957_69_full.jpg

There are a couple more pictures / views on my cardomain site:

Page 3 - MRT Exhaust on bottom of page

Cheers!

:nice:

If anybody wants to know how a GT sounds without catbacks, here's the file (5MB)

http://rapidshare.de/files/1984657/Img2005-05-22_160210.MOV.html

(scroll down and click Free, download file).

The installation wasn't a piece of cake. I failed to unscrew the exhaust screws of the header (like the drive shaft one too). At least I was able to remove the OEM catbacks, though I had to lower the axle. The installation of the FRPP catbacks didn't increase the sound or power level, but the H-pipe changed considerabely the sound..

Finally, with the help of a shop I have now everything installed. I like the sound. The level is comfortable and the sound is what you expect from a H-pipe. I feel an increase of low end torque.